• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"throughout"

Yankee

Is there a place in the codes somewhere that explains to lay-persons that the word "throughout" , , as in, , "a sprinkler system installed throughout" means

every

part of the building, including areas such a bathrooms?

2007 nfpa 13

4.1 Level of Protection.

A building, where protected by an automatic sprinkler system installation, shall be provided with sprinklers in all areas except where specific sections of this standard permit the omission of sprinklers.

you have to look at the ommissions, to include IFC if you are under it

peach said:
residential bathrooms < 55 sf are usually exempt. (NFPA 13R)
My mistake -- it isn't a residential bathroom, but a new barrier free bathroom in a A4 (new footprint)

NFPA 13 has exceptions for restroom of certain sizes but all of the exceptions I see are in dwelling units of one type or another, pretty much the concensus here - thanks -

Guess I'm good to go with requiring the sprinkler "throughout" this bathroom addition.