• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

thumbturn deadbolts on non-required doors

cheyer

Do you allow thumb-turn deadbolts, keyed deadbolts or similar hardware on non-required doors?

For example, B occupancy with 49 person occ. load--1 required exit.

Would you allow the rear door, or other "convenience doors", (or any other doors for that matter) to have the above hardware?

Thanks

Re: thumbturn deadbolts on non-required doors

as long as no exit sign is above it, and not supplied for exiting purposes

1008.1.8.1 Hardware.

Door handles, pulls, latches, locks and other operating devices on doors required to be accessible by Chapter 11 shall not require tight grasping, tight pinching or twisting of the wrist to operate.

Is the door on an accessible route or circulation path :?: If yes then not allowed.

What would exempt it from meeting the requirement for accessible controls and operating mechanisms?

Section 1008.1.8 applies to egress doors, not just the required exit doors. Any door which provides egress from the building must comply.

GPE

I'd have to agree with the three posts above. Can it pass the elbow test? Operate with only your elbow? I have had some that do.

Newer motels have dead bolts on the rooms that unlock when the lever handle is activated. Don't know what they are called.

"Single action hardware" Or for accessibility "Single action lever hardware" One single action unbolts and unlatches the door, with lever hardware you can do it with your elbow

Re: thumbturn deadbolts on non-required doorsAs someone mentioned above, there are deadbolts that have a longer thumbturn which are considered accessible by most AHJs (image of Schlage EZTurn attached).There was another post above about locks on motels...either interconnected locks (like the Schlage S200 series) or mortise locks (like the Schlage L9000 series) both have the capability of integral deadbolts. Most of the hotel guest room locks do as well. When you turn the lever on the inside, the deadbolt and the latchbolt both retract. Many codes have exceptions to the "one motion to unlatch" when it comes to residential occupancies, but personally I think it's good practice to get away from the separate deadbolts.I know this doesn't address your original question - I'll let the code experts do that. I just thought I'd give you some hardware info for future reference.

View attachment 58

View attachment 58

/monthly_2010_05/EZTurn.jpg.a97fc5bc8c772bde9f5afaf6bd521005.jpg

Yup, that would be the one, or darned similar to it. I did the test myself. Locker rooms in an ice rink, they wanted to be able to secure from the outside to prevent theft/vandalism during matches, so needed the deadbolts. Worked for me. Thanks for the hardware input, LGreene, (I believe that was Ms. Greene?)

fatboy said:
Yup, that would be the one, or darned similar to it. I did the test myself. Locker rooms in an ice rink, they wanted to be able to secure from the outside to prevent theft/vandalism during matches, so needed the deadbolts. Worked for me. Thanks for the hardware input, LGreene, (I believe that was Ms. Greene?)
Yes, I am a "Ms." and you're very welcome. I try to check the board regularly to see if anyone is in desperate need of hardware assistance, but you guys hardly ever talk about doors. :cry: