• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

TikTok Et al.

ICE

Oh Well
Please don't think that this thread is political in nature. Nor is it an attempt to sway your opinion of TikTok. We all have to make choices on which social media to use and it helps to have the background information on APPs. And finally, I am not motivated by racism...you can ask my wife for proof of that.

It has been said that information is the new oil. Information is only useful to those that wish to control behavior. It works far better than most people understand. TikTok, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google, Instagram......The APP algorithms decide what you are interested in. The APP puts you in a group that is controlled. If nothing else, this limits your horizon and stunts your growth.

When you post a TikTok video, the Chinese government stores your face and voice print. When you download the APP you give the Chinese government permission to invade your space. They have access to your camera and microphone.....GPS location, email, texts and that's just some of what they admit to.

"Every time TikTok gets asked questions about their ties to the CCP, they desperately dodge. Now it's clear they're spying on users. This is staggeringly concerning. TikTok, when opening any website in their app, injects tracking code that can monitor all keystrokes, including passwords, and all taps."

Several APPs admit to throttling free speech. TikTok is notorious for that. If you wonder about that, just post some true, unflattering information about the CCP and see what happens. The social media platforms have an agenda. They use their mind control to influence elections and more that we are not aware of. Does it make sense to allow the CCP to have such power?

Most social media platforms do all of that. It's not for nothing that the US government is worried enough about TikTok that there is a push to ban it. TikTok is the Chinese Communist Party. It is not just a tool that is available. It is wholly owned by the CCP. That is true of any and every Chinese company. Don't miss the word Communist in the name.

Consider Alibaba. Jack Ma created Alibaba, or so the story goes. The truth is that Jack Ma was allowed to create Alibaba. Recently, Jack Ma relinquished his interest/role in Alibaba. The CCP took over. At least that's the story. The truth is that Jack Ma was a titular head of Alibaba. Some person in the highest ranks of the CCP had ultimate authority. Jack has outworn his welcome and the CCP put him out to pasture. This has happened many times....from actresses and sports figures to business titans .... if you upset the CCP you can disappear.

Last edited:
You are correct that this is not an issue that is reserved for TikTok, but all social media apps. They all spy on you. This concern is a little bit more pronounced on apps like TikTok because the nation of China is not generally seen as a friendly nation to either of our countries.

More than just spying on users, the makers of these apps have the ability to manipulate the algorithms that control what and when you see specific content. Most companies just feed you content that you appear to engage with to minimize the cognitive dissonance, which keeps your engaged on the app and lets them sell more adds.

Social media uses algorithms to build echo chambers. They feed you what you want to see. They avoid dissenting opinions.

However, we are not necessarily dealing with a company driven by profit in the case of TikTok. Algorithms could be slowly manipulated to spread massive amounts of disinformation, disproportionately represent fringe or extremist views, etc. All of these things can embolden people to take action that they wouldn't otherwise take as they now feel that they are in the majority, even when they are not.

In addition to spying, social media is a tool that could easily be used to increase the polarization and ultimately destabilize nations deemed "unfriendly" to the owner of the app.

Elon Musk recently referred to Twitter as the town square, intending it to mean a place where everyone can share their opinions. In that was he is correct. However, in contrast, the town square is also where we hear dissenting opinions. This is far from the truth. You hear the opinions they decide you should hear.

I'm not trying to say we need to stop social media. I think people need a better understanding of how it works and why.

Normally, I am heavily against government intervention in these situations. But in this case, I do think the US government is wise to start asking questions about TikTok. I don't think the average person knows just how much they are being manipulated by social media. I don't care if you are a conservative or progressive, old or young, most people have no clue that they are just seeing what the app wants them to see, and what impact that has on their opinions and actions.

Influencers beware.

To be associated with negative sentiment towards TikTok and therefor the CCP can easily bring shade upon your activity at the platform. Even a tangential connection can have repercussions. The CCP has undoubtedly seen this thread.