• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Title 24 and light switches

dhilbe

I'm working on my own condo remodel. We're replacing most existing incandescent ceiling lights with 4" LED slim recessed ceiling lights. We're installing about 25 of these lights across the condo. The lights are Title 24 JA8 compliant (if I said that correctly). I'm a little unclear on Title 24 wall switch requirements. As I understand, Title 24 requires all lights be on dimmable switches or controlled by a vacancy sensor. We're OK with most of the lights being on dimmer circuits. However, there are a couple lights that just doesn't seem to make sense to be on a dimmer. Do I really need to put the LED light above the kitchen sink on a dimmer? Do I need to put a dimmer on the LED light in the shower? I'm thinking why would I ever need to dim those lights? Plus, I'm really tight on space for the kitchen sink light and need to use a double switch, single gang unit (one switch for the sink light and one switch for the garbage disposal). It seems impossible to find a dual switch - one with a dimmer for the light and one on/off switch for the garbage disposal - when using an LED light.

And finally, might I be exempt from Title 24 light and/or switch requirements for this condo remodel. We're leaving 4 existing permanent light fixtures untouched - will replace screw-in incandescent bulbs with LEDs...but not replacing the fixture. We're removing 7 existing permanent incandescent light fixtures and essentially replacing them with the thin LED recessed fixtures. Obviously, we are adding a number of new 4" thin LED ceiling fixtures.

Any thoughts on this are deeply appreciated. Thank you, Dave

You could meet the requirements in the bathroom with a motion sensor. Or you could move put of california.

You could meet the requirements in the bathroom with a motion sensor. Or you could move put of california.
Yes...a motion sensor in the bathroom will solve the requirement in the bathroom. Still trying to figure out if I need a dimmer on the LED light above the kitchen sink.

There are members that are astute with the energy code….give it a few days and hopefully they will chime in.

Yes...a motion sensor in the bathroom will solve the requirement in the bathroom. Still trying to figure out if I need a dimmer on the LED light above the kitchen sink.
Not a Motion Sensor, A Vacancy sensor. NOT THE SAME. Manual on, Auto Off.