• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

to many codes ""sprinkler head question""

cda

Sawhorse 123
I know it is not a good idea to mix types of heads in one room

If I have a room, off a corridor, with a lintel of at least 8 inches, can I put standard heads in the corridor and extended coverage in the room??

I believe the answer is yes, just want to make sure, to many codes to try to remeber

If no, nfpa 13 section?

thanks

The issue is not standard and extended coverage. It is also not temperature ratings. Quick response is not allowed to be mixed with standard response.

Thanks it is Monday, and I am answering a question on project not Fimiliar with

OK the question got changed/clairified

addtion to an existing school, possibly old additon they are tieing on to has standard heads in the corridor and they are planning on putting quick response in the new corridor

That's were NFPA 13 8.3.3.2 would apply. You can mix quick response and standard response inside the same "compartment"

I finaly saw that, but I do not think the corridor could be a compartment

I also saw A.8.3.31, that to me says if you tie into an existing system , you do not have to change out the existing heads

You are correct. However, I generally would specify all heads in the corridor be changed. As an AHJ, your authority to require that could be questioned if you mandated full replacement. However, as stated often before, Annex and commentary are not code.

cda said:
I finaly saw that, but I do not think the corridor could be a compartmentI also saw A.8.3.31, that to me says if you tie into an existing system , you do not have to change out the existing heads
13-2010 3.3.6 A space completly enclosed by walls and a ceiling. Each wall in the compartment is permitted to have openings to an adjoining space if the openings have a minimum lintel depth of 8 " from the ceiling and total width of the openings in each wall does not exceed 8'.

So a compartment could be a hall?

I have an interest in the SR/QR/SR/QR pattern as we have a motel account with that arrangement in the compartments that look like halls, but are not halls.

I think compartment would more be a room, like I think I don't think you can strech it to a corridor or similar

It seems though that 8.3.3.1 requires qr through out

Think of the ceiling as the compartment (somewhat different than we think for floor coverage of heads). I have interpreted it historically similar to FG and CD whereas the ceiling compartment is made up of space and if the new corridor is not > 8' wide and the separating lintel is 8 or more inches deep the ceiling area is the compartment.

Ok

Been waiting for you to chime

What about the thought that 13 seems to allow qr in new addition, even if they are near sr

Halls and hallways do not exist. Corridors are the only option. Rated corridors or unrated corridors.

Big Mac said:
Halls and hallways do not exist. Corridors are the only option. Rated corridors or unrated corridors.
this is a nfpa 13 question and ibc does not play into it

What about the thought that 13 seems to allow qr in new addition, even if they are near sr
It is only permitted in the same compartment where there are no available listings for QR heads in the temperature range for the area being protected. Again proximity is OK provided it is not within the same compartment. The lintel depth of 8" or greater separates the new/existing into separate ceiling compartments where the temperatures at the ceiling are expected to be similar thus fusing approporate heads and not allowing the fire to extend beyond the temperature rated compartment or it's coverage.