• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet Clearance Measurement

mjw_accessibility

We have received clarification in North Carolina that door maneuverability clearance and accessible routes must be measured to include projections of baseboards and molding at the ground level. Is that the same for toilet and bathing feature clearance? For instance, an accessible toilet is centered 16"-18" from the sidewall sheetrock, but the molding reduces this clearance to 15.5". Is that a problem, or is measuring to the face of the sheetrock acceptable?

The way I read it, you need 16"-18" off the wall. Not the base. My understanding is that this spacing requirement is so there is enough shoulder / arm room around the toilet but that you aren't too far away from the wall. Basing that dimension off the baseboard doesn't benefit anyone, if my understanding for the reason for this requirement is correct.

I always specify that the side dimension is from the face of finish on the wall.

Measuring from the sheetrock is correct, the hand is placed on the grab bar and the elbow levers against the wall above the grab bar to assist with the movement, which makes the 16" to 18" to the center of the toilet critical for achieving maximum leverage for the majority of users.

That is also why there is a 12" tall clear space above the grab bar to make room for the elbow.

We have received clarification in North Carolina that door maneuverability clearance and accessible routes must be measured to include projections of baseboards and molding at the ground level. Is that the same for toilet and bathing feature clearance? For instance, an accessible toilet is centered 16"-18" from the sidewall sheetrock, but the molding reduces this clearance to 15.5". Is that a problem, or is measuring to the face of the sheetrock acceptable?
Have you tried emailing or calling anyone at the NC Office of State Fire Marshal? I’ve reached out to them via email in the past and they’ve provided helpful responses.

If they are including door maneuvering clearances then I would assume they are also including:
1. Floor clearance required at the toilet - you’d have a reduction for the baseboard along two sides of that for a wheelchair accessible toilet set in the corner of the room.
2. Clear floor space required at lavatories. That will likely only be a problem at the sides of the floor space, you won’t need to reach the wall with the toe space below the lavatory unless you have an outlet on the wall.
3. Clear floor space at bathing fixtures.

I know the city of of Los Angeles' court-appointed accessibility consultant measures from the wall surface, not the base, assuming the base less than about 6" tall. That's because the back wheels of a wheelchair will never hit the base, and neither will the footrests.

Taller than that and they start to look closer, on a case-by case basis.

to include projections of baseboards and molding at the ground level.
Where is the common sense in that requirement? Baseboards will not interfere with the operation of a wheel chair. The radius of the rear wheel and the height of the foot rest on the front make it a mute point to measure from the baseboard. Just to operate a wheel chair along an accessible route you will be a couple of inches from the wall for your hands to power the wheels.

1712674643960.png

Reactions: ICE