• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet paper dispensers

Shall be provided has entered one code.
It is just a matter of time before it gets into the others

2018 ICC swimming pool code
609.5 Toilet tissue holder.
A toilet paper holder shall be provided at each water closet.
609.6 Lavatory mirror.
Where mirrors are provided, they shall be shatter resistant.
609.7 Sanitary napkin receptacles.
Sanitary napkin receptacles shall be provided in each water closet compartment for females and in the area of the showers for female use only.
609.8 Sanitary napkin dispensers.
A sanitary napkin dispenser shall be provided in each toilet facility for females.
609.9 Infant care.
Baby-changing tables shall be provided in toilet facilities having two or more water closets.

Glad it is in the (1) health code and (2) the swimming pool code, so far.
They are the exceptions that prove the rule: the reason it needed to be specifically in those codes for public-health-related uses is precisely because the building code and plumbing code don't already require it.

P.S., this reminds me of a meme I saw the other day, showing the kiddie pool at a water park, with the title:
"The Original Gender-Neutral Bathroom".

609.6 Lavatory mirror.
Sanitary napkin receptacles shall be provided in each water closet compartment for females and in the area of the showers for female use only.
A sanitary napkin dispenser shall be provided in each toilet facility for females.
609.9 Infant care.
Baby-changing tables shall be provided in toilet facilities having two or more water closets.
Brought to you by Bobrick...

1109.2 Toilet and bathing facilities. Each toilet room and
bathing room shall be accessible.

1101.2 Design. Buildings and facilities shall be designed and
constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and
ICC A117.1.

604.1 General. Water closets and toilet compartments shall
comply with Section 604.

604.7 Dispensers.
Toilet paper dispensers shall comply with
Sections 309.4 and 609.3. Dispensers shall not be of a type
that control delivery or do not allow continuous paper flow.

604.7.1 Location. Where the dispenser is located above the
grab bar, the outlet of the dispenser shall be located within an
area 24 inches (610 mm) minimum and 36 inches (915 mm)
maximum from the rear wall. Where the dispenser is located
below the grab bar, the outlet of the dispenser shall be located
18 inches (455 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm)
maximum above the floor.
Exception: Toilet paper dispensers that accommodate a
maximum of 2 toilet paper rolls of not more than 5-inch
(125 mm) diameter each shall be permitted to be located 7
inches (180 mm) minimum and 9 inches (230 mm) maximum
in front the of the water closet measured to the centerline
of the dispenser. The outlet of the dispenser shall be
15 inches (380 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm)
maximum above the floor.

Closest I can come to requiring them....

1109.2 Toilet and bathing facilities. Each toilet room and
bathing room shall be accessible.

1101.2 Design. Buildings and facilities shall be designed and
constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and
ICC A117.1.

604.1 General. Water closets and toilet compartments shall
comply with Section 604.

604.7 Dispensers.
Toilet paper dispensers shall comply with
Sections 309.4 and 609.3. Dispensers shall not be of a type
that control delivery or do not allow continuous paper flow.

604.7.1 Location. Where the dispenser is located above the
grab bar, the outlet of the dispenser shall be located within an
area 24 inches (610 mm) minimum and 36 inches (915 mm)
maximum from the rear wall. Where the dispenser is located
below the grab bar, the outlet of the dispenser shall be located
18 inches (455 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm)
maximum above the floor.
Exception: Toilet paper dispensers that accommodate a
maximum of 2 toilet paper rolls of not more than 5-inch
(125 mm) diameter each shall be permitted to be located 7
inches (180 mm) minimum and 9 inches (230 mm) maximum
in front the of the water closet measured to the centerline
of the dispenser. The outlet of the dispenser shall be
15 inches (380 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm)
maximum above the floor.

Closest I can come to requiring them....
Nothing here requires any toilet paper dispensers.
Also nothing here requires them to be on the wall.

Nothing here requires any toilet paper dispensers.
Also nothing here requires them to be on the wall.
Maybe not there, but 604.7 of ADA specifies the location of tp dispensers to be in a specific location on the side wall. So if the facility is governed by ADA, you don’t have much choice. And i can’t imagine getting CofO without some kind of dispenser. You going to put a sign on the door “BYOTP”?

Rick18071, what I’m seeing in ADA is that a toilet must be 17-19" from a side wall, and that. TP dispenser IF provided must meet the ADA reach ranges.

ADA does not say a toilet must be provided with a toilet paper dispenser. (Have you seen those Toto toilets with the built in bidet and air dryer? Getting more popular in assisted living facilities.)

ADA does not say the TP dispenser, when provided, must be wall mounted. It could be floor mounted, which probably violates the spirit of ADA but complies with the letter-of-the-law.

ADA does not say the TP dispenser, when provided, must be wall mounted. It could be floor mounted, which probably violates the spirit of ADA but complies with the letter-of-the-law.
why have a portable floor stand when the sideall and grab bars are right there already?

why have a portable floor stand when the sideall and grab bars are right there already?
I agree. But since this is a code forum, I wanted to clarify with code-specific parameters: 604.7.1 does not REQUIRE that a dispenser be wall mounted. It only states the dispenser’s horizontal position relative to the front of the toilet, and its vertical elevation relative to the floor and the nearby grab bar.

609.6 Lavatory mirror.
609.9 Infant care.
I inspected a TI for a gingerbread factory that created gingerbread houses. It was quite the place. The owner was a man from Monaco. Nearly the entire workforce was women from Guatemala. The ladies were employees of a temp agency. A manager from the temp agency was consulted during the design process. She advised the owner to install a trash receptacle in each water closet stall….so he did that. The County Health Department shot that down.

It was an expensive retrofit to remove the trash receptacles. Women from Guatemala do not flush toilet paper. The sewage system in Guatemala can’t handle toilet paper. It was a kick to hear Philippe tell the shity story.

That was twenty years ago. FedEx pilots used to talk about their 747 reeking from gingerbread. I should make the trip to ***** ** ******* to see if he is still there.

Last edited:
Interesting....I wonder if they actually hit it or if they just claim they do.....

Rick18071, what I’m seeing in ADA is that a toilet must be 17-19" from a side wall, and that. TP dispenser IF provided must meet the ADA reach ranges.

ADA does not say a toilet must be provided with a toilet paper dispenser. (Have you seen those Toto toilets with the built in bidet and air dryer? Getting more popular in assisted living facilities.)

We do not enforce ADA in my state. We use 2018 IBC Chapter 11, and A117.1. - 2017. Chapter 11 tells us what is required and A117.1 tells us how to do it. Chapter 11 does not say anything about toilet paper or dispensers except if using swing-up grab bars that they need to be mounted on swing-up grab bars. A117.1 section 604.7 says they need to comply with 309.4 and 609.3 and does not say toilet dispensers are required, it just tells me where it is to be located if the dispenser is above or below the grab bar. It does not tell me that they are required to be above or below the grab bars at all, only where to locate it if it is above or below the grab bars. If the toilet paper dispensers are located elsewhere the code 309.4 just says it should be usable by one hand without grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist. 609.7 is about grab bar spacing between the wall and projection objects.

This is the same of mirrors. Nothing in the code requires them, just their location if the owner choses to have a mirror.

PA ! why must you chose not to see the forest has trees?

This has proven to be a topic reoccurring lack of/overlooked logical specifics.