• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet rooms in commercial kitchens

georgia plans exam

Silver Member
I seem to recall a requirement that toilet room doors cannot open directly to a kitchen which serves food to the public. I cannot seem to find in the IPC or IBC. Am I having a brain fart or a false memory??

GPE

UBC used to say the a RR had to be separated from food prep areas by a "tight fitiing door".

Memory good just a brain fart

IBC 2006

1210.5 Toilet rooms.

Toilet rooms shall not open directly into a room used for the preparation of food for service to the public.

CBC 1210.5 Toilet rooms. Toilet rooms shall not open directly into a room used for the preparation of food for service to the public.

Sorry mtlog

Try 2006 IBC; (same number as CBC)

[P] 2902.4 Required public toilet faclities. " The access route to public facilities shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or similar spaces."

I think that there is another that prohibits "all" toilet facilities from opening into a kitchen area but haven't found that one yet.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
MTL,

Mark Handler found it;

2006 IBC, 1210.5 Toilet rooms. Toilet rooms shall not open directly into a toilet room used for the preparation of food for service to public.

Thanks Mark,

Uncle Bob

I stayed in an "Extended Stay" motel for several months; and the building was a new structure. The bathroom opened directly into the kitchen area. I wonder if this was an oversite of santitation requirements by the code writers; or perhaps they feel than where you are next to your own waste products the seperation is not warranted. I find no such seperation requirements for commercial residents.

Pwew,

Uncle Bob

sheesh....I even went to 1210..........didn't scroll down long enough in the electronic version. Is it Friday yet?

1210.5 is it! Thanks to you all. (What a strang place to put the requirement for toilet room doors.)

Again, Thanks. The brain fart exhaust fan is now set on high.

GPE