• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet Stall Latches

north star

Sawhorse
# ~ # ~ #

I am requesting input on some Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standards ( ABAAS )

compliant, toilet stall latches..........I have some existing toilet stalls that need some compliant
latches to be installed and we are using the ABAAS ( e.g. - what are some good quality,
easily operating, durable latches that
comply with ABAAS, Section 309.4 - Operation:
"
Operable parts shall be operable with one hand and shall not require tight grasping,
pinching, or twisting of the wrist...........The force required to activate operable parts shall
be 5 pounds (22.2 N) maximum............EXCEPTION: Gas pump nozzles shall not be required
to provide operable parts that have an activating force of 5 pounds (22.2 N) maximum."

Thank you for your input !

# ~ # ~ #

# < > #

Is a Toilet Stall, Grab Handle required, or just a good idea ?

Wheelchair-Height-Restroom-Stall-Handles-1.jpg
Wheelchair-Height-Restroom-Stall-Handles-3.jpg

In my application, I am using the ABA Accessibility Standards.......I will be replacing
some non-ABA compliant Toilet Stall, Latches.

# < > #

In CA you are required to have a "U" shaped pull on both sides of the compartment door.

per Ansi a.117.1 2009 a u pull on both sides is required. 1680120644817.png

& * & * &
Thanks ** JPohling ** !
In my application I am required to use the 2014 ABAAS........It is
a GSA Facility.

Refer to Section 404.2.7 - Door and Gate Hardware: "Handles, pulls, latches, locks, and other
operable parts on doors and gates shall comply with 309.4...........Operable parts of such
hardware shall be 34 inches (865 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm) maximum above
the finish floor or ground.........Where sliding doors are in the fully open position, operating
hardware shall be exposed and usable from both sides.

EXCEPTIONS: 1. Existing locks shall be permitted in any location at existing glazed doors
without stiles, existing overhead rolling doors or grilles, and similar existing doors or grilles
that are designed with locks that are activated only at the top or bottom rail.

2. Access gates in barrier walls and fences protecting pools, spas, and hot tubs shall be
permitted to have operable parts of the release of latch on self-latching devices at 54 inches
(1370 mm) maximum above the finish floor or ground provided the self-latching devices are
not also self-locking devices and operated by means of a key, electronic opener, or integral
combination lock.

Advisory 404.2.7 Door and Gate Hardware..........Door hardware that can be operated
with a closed fist or a loose grip accommodates the greatest range of users..........Hardware
that requires simultaneous hand and finger movements require greater dexterity and
coordination, and is not recommended.

& * & * &

& * & * &
Thanks ** JPohling ** !
In my application I am required to use the 2014 ABAAS........It is
a GSA Facility.

Refer to Section 404.2.7 - Door and Gate Hardware: "Handles, pulls, latches, locks, and other
operable parts on doors and gates shall comply with 309.4...........Operable parts of such
hardware shall be 34 inches (865 mm) minimum and 48 inches (1220 mm) maximum above
the finish floor or ground.........Where sliding doors are in the fully open position, operating
hardware shall be exposed and usable from both sides.

EXCEPTIONS: 1. Existing locks shall be permitted in any location at existing glazed doors
without stiles, existing overhead rolling doors or grilles, and similar existing doors or grilles
that are designed with locks that are activated only at the top or bottom rail.

2. Access gates in barrier walls and fences protecting pools, spas, and hot tubs shall be
permitted to have operable parts of the release of latch on self-latching devices at 54 inches
(1370 mm) maximum above the finish floor or ground provided the self-latching devices are
not also self-locking devices and operated by means of a key, electronic opener, or integral
combination lock.

Advisory 404.2.7 Door and Gate Hardware..........Door hardware that can be operated
with a closed fist or a loose grip accommodates the greatest range of users..........Hardware
that requires simultaneous hand and finger movements require greater dexterity and
coordination, and is not recommended.

& * & * &
North, go to the 604 toilet compartment section of that document. U pulls required