• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Too late to move it

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member

A section of wall was removed and a spa is to fill the hole. That takes a retaining wall. That retaining wall needs to tie the two sections of the remaining retaining wall. A standard pool plan has been used. There is a detail for a wall of the pool built as a retaining wall. The detail is limited to a slope of 1 vertical in 2 horizontal. This slope is steeper than that.

The yard is large and if the spa had been moved three feet, the original wall would still be there.

12312029505_d6a6bee724_o.jpg

The spa shell will not be into the Earth by much.

The cluster of pipe would displace way too much gunite.

12312063415_871decf5f9_o.jpg

Last edited:
+ ~ + ~ +

Okay, ...since no one else has asked, what's the deal with the mailbox ?

+ ~ + ~ +

Not To late to enlarge it moving the perimeter wall and footing so all those pipes are not in the footing or wall

What about the trampoline? Does the use of the trampoline require a target painted on the bottom of the spa?

fireguy said:
What about the trampoline? Does the use of the trampoline require a target painted on the bottom of the spa?
It appears to be upside down, Storage location.....

Msradell said:
Were there approved plans for this prior to the start of construction?
There is a standard pool plan and a site plan. A standard plan is a plan that has been approved and is used universally without a formal plan check each time. The site plan shows the spa away from the toe of the slope.

ICE said:
There is a standard pool plan and a site plan. A standard plan is a plan that has been approved and is used universally without a formal plan check each time. The site plan shows the spa away from the toe of the slope.
So...not constructing according to approved plans. Stop Work Order.

kyhowey said:
I don't like to use the phrase "it's too late". There's always time to learn from mistakes.
I can agree with that....it's never too late to start over.

I agree and until the mud goes in, moving that whole thing is not as hard as it might seem. If he pulls the stakes and cuts the incoming pipes. the whole deal will come as a unit as long as he has a multi line bridle tied to get it all going at once.

Stick to your guns on this one.

As was pointed out he still needs to rethink that jumble of pipe in the footing wall

Sterling Scovil said:
mmmm..................what ever happened here. was it moved? constructed non conforming?
I was filling in for another inspector so I don't know how far this has gotten since then. I did talk to the contractor and explained the problems so it may be getting done right.....then again......