• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Total Recall

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
Per the ASME A17.1, do all elevators need recall?

The '09 IFC section 607 elevators require recall per the ASME.

I do not have a copy of the ASME.

Elevator serves a 2nd floor exterior walkway that serves individual suites, B occupancy, non sprinklered.

The main question is whether or not a smoke or heat detector is required at the top of the enclosure, which would trigger the recall.

Thanks.

I think it may be two stories but stipulates travel distance maybe twenty feet

Heat detector only required if there is a fire sprinkler head in the shaft or machine room

I usually like to post only when I can provide chapter and verse. Unfortunately I do not have ASME A17.1 either, but to my knowledge "Firefighter's Emergency Operation" is essentially required on all "real" elevators. The car travel distance trigger is much less than 2 stories or 20 feet, but don't have the exact number.

As a Mechanical engineer, this comes up in the context of providing a sump pump in the hoistway, and the 2007 A17.1 requires a 50 GPM pump for EACH ELEVATOR with Firefighter's Emergency Operation!!! (but this is the subject for a separate rant).

I concur with CDA - heat detector is only required in a sprinklered building to activate a shunt trip breaker for power cut-off. Smoke detector would still be required for recall.

Found it! From 2004 ANSI/ASME A17.1:

"Firefighters' Emergency Operation shall apply to all automatic elevators except

(a) where the hoistway or a portion thereof is not required to be fire-resistive construction (see 2.1.1.1), the travel does not exceed 2000 mm (80 in.), and the hoistway does not penetrate a floor

(b) in jurisdictions enforcing the NBCC where the NBCC does not require Firefighters' Emergency Operation

Like I said, all "real" elevators.

There is a 2007 version, but I don't think this changed.

It is available as the "Arkansas Elevator Code" from http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/