• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Townhouse attic firewall "intruder"

Andy Andy

Hi, As crazy as it may sound my tenant is convinced that her neighbor is "jumping" the firewall through the section of sheetrock installed on top of the cinderblock. The fire wall that separates two units is built with cinderblock but only up to a point then the wall finished with sheetrock. Both firewalls (my townhouse is sandwiched between two other units) are done the same way.
What is the purpose of the sheetrock?
Why not finish the wall with cinderblock all the way to the roof?
My tenant is driving ME crazy and wants me to built the wall all the way to the top.
I just know noticed this..I will have to talk to other unit owners to see if their firewalls are done the same way. I hope is some code thing so I can shut her up.
This is a townhouse in North Carolina, built in 1985.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sheetrock is cheaper

If a fire rated wall was required, the sheetrock does the job.

With all that said there should be NO holes in it, no matter how small.

As CDA said, it is a cheaper construction method than CMU. At minimum, the sheetrock is required for a draftstop, and most likely, continuation of the fire rated wall.

if you own it how about going into the attic spaces and inspecting them - or hire an independent inspector - video record the conditions.

The rated separation is required by the code IRC 302.2

Sheetrock is cheaper

If a fire rated wall was required, the sheetrock does the job.

With all that said there should be NO holes in it, no matter how small.
Hi, As crazy as it may sound my tenant is convinced that her neighbor is "jumping" the firewall through the section of sheetrock installed on top of the cinderblock. The fire wall that separates two units is built with cinderblock but only up to a point then the wall finished with sheetrock. Both firewalls (my townhouse is sandwiched between two other units) are done the same way.
What is the purpose of the sheetrock?
Why not finish the wall with cinderblock all the way to the roof?
My tenant is driving ME crazy and wants me to built the wall all the way to the top.
I just know noticed this..I will have to talk to other unit owners to see if their firewalls are done the same way. I hope is some code thing so I can shut her up.
This is a townhouse in North Carolina, built in 1985.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you all for the excellent advice.