• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Townhouse Common Wall Penetration

MAGB

Can a fire sprinkler pipe penetrate through a townhouse common wall constructed in accordance with IRC R302.2.2? R302.2.2 describe penetrations of the membrane for electrical and refers to R302.4, but also states no plumbing shall be in the cavity of the common wall. We are working on a townhome project in Phoenix where our municipality is requiring a 13R sprinkler system and I am trying to determine if I can have a single FDC and riser for all the townhouses in a building/grouping or if each townhouse would have to have a separate system. We are using 2018 iCodes. It seems I could go to the double wall methodology, but I wonder about that from a cost constructability standpoint. Thank You!

Correction​

R302.2.2 Common Walls​

Common walls separating townhouse units shall be assigned a fire-resistance rating in accordance with Item 1 or 2 and shall be rated for fire exposure from both sides. Common walls shall extend to and be tight against the exterior sheathing of the exterior walls, or the inside face of exterior walls without stud cavities, and the underside of the roof sheathing. The common wall shared by two townhouse units shall be constructed without plumbing or mechanical equipment, ducts or vents, other than water-filled fire sprinkler piping in the cavity of the common wall. Electrical installations shall be in accordance with Chapters 34 through 43. Penetrations of the membrane of common walls for electrical outlet boxes shall be in accordance with Section R302.4.

Correction​

R302.2.2 Common Walls​

Common walls separating townhouse units shall be assigned a fire-resistance rating in accordance with Item 1 or 2 and shall be rated for fire exposure from both sides. Common walls shall extend to and be tight against the exterior sheathing of the exterior walls, or the inside face of exterior walls without stud cavities, and the underside of the roof sheathing. The common wall shared by two townhouse units shall be constructed without plumbing or mechanical equipment, ducts or vents, other than water-filled fire sprinkler piping in the cavity of the common wall. Electrical installations shall be in accordance with Chapters 34 through 43. Penetrations of the membrane of common walls for electrical outlet boxes shall be in accordance with Section R302.4.
It looks like they added the “water-filled sprinkler piping” clarification to the 2021. We are still on 2018, but it merits a conversation with the AHJ. Thank you.

R302.2.2 Common Walls. Common walls separating townhouse units shall be assigned a fire-resistance rating in accordance with Item 1 or 2 and shall be rated for fire exposure from both sides. Common walls shall extend to and be tight against the exterior sheathing of the exterior walls, or the inside face of exterior walls without stud cavities, and the underside of the roof sheathing. The common wall shared by two townhouse units shall be constructed without plumbing or mechanical equipment, ducts or vents, other than water-filled fire sprinkler piping in the cavity of the common wall. Electrical installations shall be in accordance with Chapters 34 through 43. Penetrations of the membrane of common walls for electrical outlet boxes shall be in accordance with Section R302.4.

This section isn't talking about penetrations -- this is talking about running things such as piping within the hollow space in a party wall. As I understand the question, it's not about running piping in the wall, it's asking about a sprinkler main penetrating through the party walls so the system can serve multiple dwelling units off a single riser.

Membrane pentrations are allowed, so if the sprinkler pipe was in the cavity could have a bullhead T with a membrane pentrations on both sides?

A "membrane penetration" is a penetration of one side of a wall assembly only (at least at that location). Anything passing straight through from one side to the other is a through penetration, not a membrane penetration.

A "membrane penetration" is a penetration of one side of a wall assembly only (at least at that location). Anything passing straight through from one side to the other is a through penetration, not a membrane penetration.
Agree, however I can see the argument coming that from each side it is a membrane pentation. The contractors in my area are very creative and believe the whole code is gray and I can make decision that favors their point of view.