• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Townhouse open deck separation

georgia plans exam

Silver Member
Would you consider an open deck attached to a townhouse an unenclosed accessory structure and therefore not require a fire separation between two adjacent decks per 2012 I.R.C. Section R302.2.1 or, would you consider the open deck as a projection and therefore subject to Table R302.1(1)? Thanks, GPE

IMO, a projection and subject to table R302.1(1), EXTERIOR WALL ELEMENT, not an accessory structure.

Accessory structure IMO would be a shed, garage, carport, dumpster containment structure requiring distance from the main structure due to a potential fire incident.

JMO, pc1

Are the decks projecting from walls parallel or perpendicalur to the line?

R302.1 Exterior walls.

Construction, projections, openings and penetrations of exterior walls of dwellings and accessory buildings shall comply with Table R302.1(1); or dwellings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with :Next('./icod_irc_2012_29_par050.htm')'>Section P2904 shall comply with Table R302.1(2).

Exceptions:

1. Walls, projections, openings or penetrations in walls perpendicular to the line used to determine the fire separation distance.

The deck extends out from the back of a townhouse but within 5' horizontally of an adjacent townhouse. I contend that it is an attached, unenclosed accessory structure and requires no separation. If it is not an accessory structure, what type of unenclosed structure would be applicable to the last sentence of Section R302.2.1? GPE

R302.2.1 Continuity.

The fire-resistance-rated wall or assembly separating townhouses shall be continuous from the foundation to the underside of the roof sheathing, deck or slab. The fire-resistance rating shall extend the full length of the wall or assembly,********************* including wall extensions through and separating attached enclosed accessory structures.

GPE.......do you mean straight deck to deck? If owner A wall to owner B deck, separate. and vice versa....If the decks meet at the real or imaginary lot line...I would have to consider it more....

Soffits and "enclosed" projections the rating continues through....I don't really think so with decks....But I am drawing a blank right now...Probably because we don't care about fire outside the dwelling unit.....