• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Townhouses burn down in PA

wonder if they had just two layers of sheet rock without any support???

Looking at the photo, it looks more like a four-plex than true townhomes. Given the construction was in the late 80s, I doubt that it had two layers on each side of the wall, and probably had cavities that connected the separate living areas. How else could the fire travel so fast in such a short time?

How else could the fire travel so fast in such a short time

those small fire stopped holes that the cable, telephone, satilette installers made

Having been in the Williamsport area for training and fishing many times I am not surprised from what I have seen. Not sure of this location. Jeff this is a bit west of you!

Very tragic, indeed. It's reasonable to presume that the separations were not correct. I don't mean to hijack, but I seem to recall a previous post from this board or the 'other one' in which the OP asked for pictures of townhouse separations that did work. Does anyone have any of these? Might make a great powerpoint.

Spoke with the BCO for the Township this is in today. He said it was built back in the 80's when they had codes but before he was there. He stated there did not appear to be any rated separation between any of the units when he looked at it after the fire.