• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trailer Bar Remodel

duffelbag

Hi All -

I am remodeling an old Spartan Trailer into a bar to be part of a drive in movie theater project. The trailer bar will include a small bar with 2-3 bartenders + bar seating for about 10 people. There will be separate bathrooms on the property for guests with full ADA compliant allowances.

I have a few questions regarding this project:
1. The trailer is not ADA compliant, as the door openings are only 27" wide. Do I need to make this trailer ADA compliant? I will be including a wrap around deck on the outside of the trailer to allow for ADA compliant seating and an ADA height pick up window.
2. Do I need to address fire code at all on this? Like will I need a fire suppression system?
3. Is there a special variance that I can use to avoid having to make this trailer ADA compliant?

The trailer will technically be stationary/anchored on a cement pad as per our local liquor board and health department. But, we could maybe argue that it is movable to our building/city inspector making it no longer under his jurisdiction.

The trailer will technically be stationary/anchored on a cement pad as per our local liquor board and health department. But, we could maybe argue that it is movable to our building/city inspector making it no longer under his jurisdiction.
My guess is that the building department will consider it to be a building if you anchor it down. You really need to talk to them and see what they say, in my jurisdiction we would have you utilize a registered design professional and probably make the trailer fully accessible.

It has a vehicle title, and has/had axles, will not covered here under the building code.

Have at it! Perhaps a zoning/business license?

The ADA question, you are still going to be held accountable should someone pursue a DOJ complaint/lawsuit.