• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

trailer house

linnrg

Sawhorse
Had an interesting call today.

Caller asked - How can I remodel my 1983 trailer home to code compliance so that you will no longer call it a "trailer home"?

How would you respond?

Bolt to a solid foundation

Verify structural Integraphy

Verify the EMP meets code

Add solid steps and landings

would your inspections of the items and your c of o convince a lender to lend on it as a house and no longer have any "trailer/manufactured home" tag? I do not know of any way to "convert" to a conventional framed home.

the person explained to me that he can not get any lender to loan since it is a trailer. I do not know of its condition (or his personal financial status) since it is outside of my jurisdiction.

I suggested that he consider adding a new structure and when complete for him to sell the home when he was done. I suspect that he wanted to obtain a loan against the trailer to finance his remodel or was wanting to sell without having to carry the note and with both hitting the obstacle of the "trailer" definition.

linnrg said:
Had an interesting call today.Caller asked - How can I remodel my 1983 trailer home to code compliance so that you will no longer call it a "trailer home"?

How would you respond?
Welcome!!!!

Just don't let the DEC find out about it

Welcome to the Building Code Forum linnrg

Every state is required by federal law to have statutes allowing "mobile homes" (manufactured housing trailers) and whether there is provision to convert to "permanent" and what would be required such as; oldest year of manufacture, structural rating for roof loads (snow, etc), and lateral (wind or seismic). Here in sunny (& very very dry) CA "trailers" can be converted to "permanent" very similar to mark handler's post. I recommend you look into statutes for some hints. If there aren't any conversions recognized by statute, you could allow conversion (again similar to mark handler's post) if you are satisfied that the trailer is sufficient structurally and the EMP systems are safe. The manufacturer may be able to help with the information on standards used for building the trailer and over the last 30 years I have found the manufacturers to be quite helpful.

jdfruit,

interesting - do you find these kind of laws under "housing programs" or building code adoption modifications?

This person that called simply wanted a way to obtain financial solutions, There is no zoning where he is at and really no residential code authority and no problem for him to have a mobile home.

linnrg

I am not familiar with Alaska's statute categories; hopefully a google search may get something, maybe a call to the State (legislation admin office?) requesting info.

My opinion is that it cannot be done by the owner.

A manufactured building is very similar to a UL listed appliance.

It is designed, built, inspected, approved and permanently tagged in an approved facility and any modifications to the unit may void that approval.

Only structural modifications approved by the original manufacturer in writing should be allowed.

I would call the State, and see what they have to say.

Here in IL, there are no less than 12 separate statutes pertaining to mobile homes, manuf. homes, m.h. parks, installers, tie-downs, etc. Most of which are under the umbrella of Dept. of Public Health. When you add in local zoning & building codes from the city and/or county, it is a mess to sort through.

Hopefully you'll have it easier up there in the land of cold.

[h=2]AS 29.45.070. Mobile Homes.[/h]Mobile homes, trailers, house trailers, trailer coaches, and similar property used or intended to be used for residential, office, or commercial purposes and attached to the land or connected to water, gas, electric, or sewage facilities are classified as real property for tax purposes unless expressly classified as personal property by ordinance. This section does not apply to house trailers and mobile homes that are unoccupied and held for sale by persons engaged in the business of selling mobile homes.

They are not built to the building code requirements so I do not know how you can tell him what modifications need to be done to make it equivalent to a site built.

A 1983 unit is a "manufacture home" and not a "mobile home/trailer house" there is a significant difference between the two standards

If it is on a permanent foundation then a CO could be issued stating that but I would still identify the structure as a manufactured home

A different approach might be to see what would disqualify it under the Federal Regulations. Once it no longer qualifies under Federal Regulations you may be able to verify compliance with the IRC (or State/Local) equivalent.

We had a similar situation here. The entire underframe was completely removed and replaced with foundation, girders, joists, etc. Two additions on each side of the manufactured home were added, completely encasing the trailer. A new roof was installed over the entire structure and some of the "exterior" walls of the manufactured home were partially removed to open into the stick built structures. The local assessors office then showed it on the tax rolls as a stick built. BUT, when the owner went to sell the home, no lender would touch it. They still considered parts of it as a mobile home and wouldn't even lend on the stick built parts.