• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Transom Safety Glazing

alora

Silver Member
Commercial storefront, fully glazed.

8' high frames with 7' tall door with transom above.

Does the transom need to consist of safety glazing? Why or why not?

See 2009 IBC 2406.4 item 6

As long as it is 60 inches above walking surface not required to be safety glazing

A local AHJ is thinking of adopting & amending the 2009 IBC, Section 2406.4.6 [2406.3.6, 2006 IBC] to eliminate the 60" dimension entirely.

This would mean that transoms are "within a 24-inch arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position" and would now be required to consist of safety glazing.

Would the impact against the transom -- by, say, someone slamming the door shut below it -- be truly considered a "human impact load"?

It is not required, what more do you want. Look at the link, I provided, that image is from ICC, what more do you want? Why say in 300 words what can be said in three,

No, Not Required.

Why not, because its Not Required.

mark handler said:
It is not required, what more do you want. Look at the link, I provided, that image is from ICC, what more do you want? Why say in 300 words what can be said in three, No, Not Required.

Why not, because its Not Required.
I'm curious as to why.

Is the "human impact load" solely to do with people crashing into the glazing?

Does the 'slamming' of the door have any bearing on the safety glazing requirement?

And a 'because the code says so' answer wasn't what I was looking for.

alora said:
I'm curious as to why.Is the "human impact load" solely to do with people crashing into the glazing?

Does the 'slamming' of the door have any bearing on the safety glazing requirement?

And a 'because the code says so' answer wasn't what I was looking for.
When was the last time there was human impact on a transom?

There probably have been NO reported injuries

"ladder impact" and a three stooges movie.....

1930 ....The Stooges are part time firemen who break up a swank party, and later...

Human impact in the glazing section is just what it implies.......a human impacting something. Human impact loads tests are made with a weighted bag dropped from various heights into the glazing specimen. These are to mimic someone impacting the glazing. To my knowledge, they have never used a ladder in one of these tests. And I don't believe the test even takes into consideration the slamming of a door.

Sorry, can't see any pics, but if it's above 80", not required to be safety glazing. Can't think of the "what if's".

This would mean that transoms are "within a 24-inch arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position" and would now be required to consist of safety glazing.
The transoms are above the horizontal edge of the door and therefore above the arc of the door.

mtlogcabin said:
The transoms are above the horizontal edge of the door and therefore above the arc of the door.
Not in elevation view.

The code doesn't differentiate plan or elevation view.

The 24-inch arc (in elevation view) would include the transom, as it's "adjacent".

Point is, if this adoption/amendment goes through, it seems that it will require safety glazing in transoms.

not required.. now if you modify the code provision to eliminate the 60" dimension, the transom will indeed, be within the 24" arc of the vertical edge of the door - then it would be required... dumb, if you ask me.. (oh, you did)...

The imprint was left on the window by the owl's down powder. I bet that hurt.

001owl-in-window-Sally-Arnold_021827.jpg

mark handler said:
"ladder impact" and a three stooges movie.....1930 ....The Stooges are part time firemen who break up a swank party, and later...
Let me guess... A pie fight?