• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trash/refuse chute "compartment"?

ETThompson

Hi

We're working on a multi-family apartment project which has an open air /covered breezeway. The owner would like to have a trash/refuse chute but no enclosed room.

We are under the Ohio Building Code 2017 which is based on the 2015 IBC. In section 713.13.3 it says these chutes have to be located "in rooms or compartments" (emphasis mine) with a 1-hour fire barrier, but I can't find any thing defining what a compartment would have to be, nor does the commentary seem to address this. Can this language support the idea of a chute just behind some sort of access door from the open-air breezeway?

Thanks, Eric

Besides sprinkling the chute

It has to be in a rated shaft. So as long as that is done

Have to look at the book, to see if it has to end in a rated room???

Yes, it needs a rated room at the bottom (which we plan to provide), the challenge is at the top. And yes, we plan to rate the chute itself, but the issue is what we have to have at the top - what constitutes a "compartment". Can we have a door in the side wall of the breezeway with a (rated) door in it and the chute door is right behind that?

713.13.3 Chute Access Rooms

Access openings for waste or linen chutes shall be located in rooms or compartments enclosed by not less than 1-hour fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. Openings into the access rooms shall be protected by opening protectives having a fire protection rating of not less than 3/4 hour. Doors shall be self- or automatic-closing upon the detection of smoke in accordance with Section 716.5.9.3.

Doing simple

I would say you could create a rated vertical shaft

The trash chute would be in it

Where you want people to open and deposit trash,,, would be a self closing rated door/ hatch

I do not think it has to be imbedded in the building or separate room,, except where it terminates

I seems to indicate you need a room or compartment for every opening that serves the chute since the wording is plural. I will check the commentary and see what it says later

713.13.3 Chute access rooms.
Access openings
for waste or linen chutes shall be located in rooms or compartments enclosed by not less than 1-hour fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. Openings into the access rooms shall be protected by opening protectives having a fire protection rating of not less than 3/4 hour. Doors shall be self- or automatic-closing upon the detection of smoke in accordance with Section 716.2.6.6. The room or compartment shall be configured to allow the access door to the room or compartment to close and latch with the access panel to the refuse or laundry chute in any position.

713.13.4 Chute discharge room.
Waste or linen chutes shall discharge into an enclosed room separated by fire barriers with a fire-resistance rating not less than the required fire rating of the shaft enclosure and constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. Openings into the discharge room from the remainder of the building shall be protected by opening protectives having a fire protection rating equal to the protection required for the shaft enclosure. Doors shall be self- or automatic-closing upon the detection of smoke in accordance with Section 716.2.6.6. Waste chutes shall not terminate in an incinerator room. Waste and linen rooms that are not provided with chutes need only comply with Table 509.

“””compartments enclosed by not less than 1-hour fire barriers”””

I think you could run a vertical rated shaft

As long as all other provisions of IBC are met, say if you wanted to put it in a corridor

Or say in an apartment building say exposed along a wall for a non enclosed stair

Ok does not say what a compartment is??

So, not in a corridor,, could you build the rated shaft

Than build another rated enclosure, with a small self closing rated door

You open the first small door , than open the rated door to the chute??

The commentary states the reason for the additional room/compartment protection is because the chute doors do not always close and latch due to trash and debris interfering with the closing operation. As far as what a compartment would be under the code I have no Idea what that implies

Hi

We're working on a multi-family apartment project which has an open air /covered breezeway. The owner would like to have a trash/refuse chute but no enclosed room.

We are under the Ohio Building Code 2017 which is based on the 2015 IBC. In section 713.13.3 it says these chutes have to be located "in rooms or compartments" (emphasis mine) with a 1-hour fire barrier, but I can't find any thing defining what a compartment would have to be, nor does the commentary seem to address this. Can this language support the idea of a chute just behind some sort of access door from the open-air breezeway?

Thanks, Eric

After reading the book

I think the answer to your question is yes

As long as exiting and ada pass