• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trash Room in Hotel - California

Derrick Carter

Im doing a trash storage room (trash enclosure) at the ground floor of a hotel in California.
I'm having trouble finding code requirements. I can find waste storage rooms in medical facilities, but that's it.
I'm guessing 1-hour separation in in order, but I sure would like to have some code references. Do I need ventilation or odor control measures? Closers on doors? ADA accessibility apply?

Can't speak to CA, only the ICC codes but maybe it points in a direction. If a chute is provided you would be in IBC 713, if it is just a trash collection room then it would likely be an incidental occupancy and t509 would apply. If it is in a corridor, then the corridor requirements of the hotel would also apply. It would require accessibility, but depending on whether it is an employee workspace or open to the public might make some differences. I can't think of any specific ventilation requirements, but sounds like a great idea!

See the following:

2022 California Fire Code, Title 24, Part 9 - 304.3 Containers.
CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE 311.1.1 Accessory Storage Spaces​
CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE 903.2.11.2 Rubbish and Linen Chutes​
Follow the fire resistive issues listed in Chapter 7 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE​

The cities municipal code should have requirements for the enclosure size needed for trash, recycling and greenery waste