• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

travel distance to egress doorway and to exit

sunyaer

These are from Ontario Building Code, Division B.

It looks like 3.3.1.6. is useless, as the travel distance to the nearest exit would be always longer than the travel distance to the egress doorway, unless the egress doorway is the entrance to the exit, where the travel distance to egress doorway equals the travel distance to exit. In the opposite way to say it: the travel distance to the nearest egress doorway by no way would exceed the maximum travel distance specified in the clauses 3.4.2.5.(1) (a), (b), (c) and (f) for exits, then why is clause 3.3.1.6. needed?

1699228360490.png

1699228518872.png

Attachments

• 1699228324957.png
    1699228324957.png
    20 KB · Views: 0
Does "egress door" equal the door from "exit access" to "exit" in US codes? Or is it any door in the exit access?

Does "egress door" equal the door from "exit access" to "exit" in US codes? Or is it any door in the exit access?

Under the IBC, an "egress door" is any door along the path of egress travel, between the most remote point and the final exit discharge door. This is obviously a much broader scope than an "exit door," which is the door leading from exit access into an exit.

Under the IBC, an "egress door" is any door along the path of egress travel, between the most remote point and the final exit discharge door. This is obviously a much broader scope than an "exit door," which is the door leading from exit access into an exit.
thank you.

I think I see where the confusion might lie. Note 3.4.2.4(2) which allows travel distance to be measured from the egress of a room or suite in certain conditions.
This is most likely going to be the case with apartment buildings or office complexes served by fire-rated public corridors.

Let's throw this out there:

1699389405634.png

So, as an example, in an office building, a 195m2 room that meets certain requirements (say a fire separated room - 3.4.2.4(2)(a)(i) ) can have a travel distance of 25 to an egress doorway in a fire-rated public corridor. That resets the "travel distance" for exiting to 40m *from that doorway* (per 3.4.2.5). So the total max travel distance to the exit would be 65m.

In an apartment, unsprinklered, fire-rated suites and fire-rated corridor - 15m to the corridor from within the suite then 30m from there to the furthest of two required exits [3.4.2.5(f)] would mean 45 total maximum distance.

In a sprinklered office building, that would be 25+45. I'll let you delve into the codes/tables to figure out how that number was derived.