• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Travel distance to restrooms

earshavewalls

Bronze Member
We have a private school that is adding some modular units. We are concerned that there are no restroom facilities near these modular units.

My question is: Are there any distance restrictions in the California codes for location of sanitary facilities. I cannot locate anything dealing with E-occupancies, only M and B. The nearest facility is inside the main building, about 300-350 feet away. I am also questioning the location and placement of drinking fountains, as these are recommended on each floor of a school (in the CPC), would they not also be required on out-buildings within a certain distance?

I believe that the I-codes cover these issues, but I am afraid that the California codes do not take these into consideration.

Thanks

Wayne

There is nothing in the CPC regarding schools

You might concider this:

California Department of Education

Sacramento, CA

Support Facilities Issues

.... the following issues must be considered:

Toilets: Toilets must be located so that the distance a child must travel is appropriate for the age group. Also, due to the additional staff created by CSR, the adequacy of staff toilets should be evaluated based on the standards in Title 5.