• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trees......(aren't we supposed to be BUILDING inspectors??)

TimNY said:
Our zoning code requires Board approval for the removal of any historic tree.I know what you're asking yourself, I ask myself the same thing.
Another nice thing about Houston - zoning, we don't need (nor do we have) any stinkin' zoning!!! Yeeha, Y'all (course out here at the airport, trees are not welcome).

When wearing a Property Maintenance Code Officer's hat, we will only get involved where trees or limbs are presenting an obvious immediate life safety concern. Storm damaged trees, torn limbs dangling over public areas, and overgrowth creating sight-distance issues, for examples.

The most common complaint we receive, however, is for limbs overhanging from a neighbor's tree. We advise that the issue is civil, encourage the complaintee to contact his neighbor, and establish (as common knowledge) that in our state, real estate law establishes air rights enabling the trimming of limbs above ones own property. Immediate self-remedy is available.

Link to short article for PA residents establishing this principle.

www.lgc.state.pa.us/deskbook06/Issues_Private_Property_Issues_01_Limbs_Neighbors_Tree.pdf · Cached page · PDF file

Uncle Bob said:
More and more municipalities are requiring a minimum number of trees and shrubs to be planted before a CofO. It's getting ridiculous. They are even making you choose trees from an approved list. I am beginning to see our lives and property being more restricted than if we lived in communist or even facists countries.Uncle Bob
You think that's bad....How would you like to have a "certified planner" as a supervisor. Now he's a great supervisor, doesn't ever bother me and let's me take care of my department the way I want too BUT some of his ideas........WOW!!!!! Sometimes he's too smart for his own good! He just got elected into the APA (American Planning Association) as a "Fellow" one of the highest honors for planning! He goes all over the US teaching....like I say..great guy....different ideas!

Oh...we do require so many trees, architectual standards, color of brick, color of trim, all of that good stuff! Want to build a CMU building? NOPE!! Not inless it's splitface and painted a certain color!!!! Metal buildings.....forget about it!!