• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trench Drain for Transmission Shop

retire09

Silver Member
I have a plan for a commercial transmission repair shop that has the typical trench drain but with no connection to sanitary sewer. The trench is basically just a pit that liquids will drain to and have to be removed from. It is basically an evaporative pit. I am told that this is commonly done in Alaska.

Is there a code section that would specifically require a drain in a repair garage and that it be connected to the drainage system with an interceptor as I am accustomed to seeing?

retire09,

The trench drain is a plumbing appurtenance, not a plumbing fixture.

From Ch. 2 - `06 IPC: "PLUMBING APPURTENANCE. A manufactured

device, prefabricated assembly or an on-the-job assembly of component

parts that is an adjunct to the basic piping system and plumbing fixtures.

An appurtenance demands no additional water supply and does not add

any discharge load to a fixture or to the drainage system."

From Section 701.2 - Sewer required: "Every building in which plumbing

fixtures are installed and all premises having drainage piping shall be

connected to a public sewer, where available, or an approved private

sewage disposal system in accordance with the International Private

Sewage Disposal Code."

As long as the wastes are retrieved and disposed of properly, I would

not have a problem with the trench drain NOT being connected to the

drainage system.

This is a safer solution. If it was connected, the techs would be tempted to just dump everything down the drain. Even with an interceptor, stuff will pass thru, particularly after they stop maintaining it.

P.S. It is not a plumbing fixture or a plumbing appurtenance, it is a low spot in the floor.