• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Triplex - can I add an interior door at the top of stairs?

mplslandlord

Hi, and thanks for having me on your forum! I own a triplex with one unit upstairs and two units downstairs. Currently it's like a house out of a murder mystery, as tenants could access other tenants housing without a key. Yikes! To resolve this, I've added some red lines to the floorplan where I'd like to change unit entrances.Plan:

• Secure upstairs unit by adding locked door at top of stairs
  • Secure downstairs front unit by replacing lock on central door
  • Remove previous entry to downstairs front unit
  • Enclose hallway closet and make it a bedroom closet, converting unit to 1BD instead of studio/efficiency
Are the attached modifications valid? How would I as a DIYer ensure this modification is legit?

View attachment 2137

View attachment 2137

/monthly_2015_04/572953f2b32c5_RenovationPlan.png.aebe393b92f712ef832c45898007cae7.png

Start with your AHJ. In my AHJ the planning dept has rules. For example, covered parking is required and for a triplex; it could be from three to six spaces.

& " & " &

mplslandlord,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Agree with **ICE**........You should contact the AHJ with all

plans & proposed project renovations..........They will ultimately

have approval of your project.

The Unit B ( downstairs ) appears to not have a direct egress door

from the interior [ i.e. - going thru the Laundry ].

& " & " &

Ask the ahj but looks good

Is it a rental place now???

One problem hate to say is that just adding a door, the ahj may want more upgrades.

There is a minimum distance for a landing which the top unit looks close. Do you know what the distance from the top step to the door is?