• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Turkey fryer

fireguy

Gold Member
these things scare me. Having said that, the best Thanksgiving dinner we had was an elk camp, with the new turkey fryer. I made Dee take the thing and set it up outside the tent. I put 2 extinguishers just outside the tent. Glad I did not need them. Good turkey.

UL considers turkey fryers to be dangerous to use presenting numerous safety hazards to consumers. "We're worried by the increasing reports of fires related with turkey fryer use," says John Drengenberg, consumer affairs manager of UL. "Based on our test findings, the fryers used to produce those great-tasting birds are not worth the risks. And, as a result of these tests, UL has decided not to certify any turkey fryers with our trusted UL Mark."

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/consumer/productsafety/turkeys/

mark handler said:
UL considers turkey fryers to be dangerous to use presenting numerous safety hazards to consumers. "We're worried by the increasing reports of fires related with turkey fryer use," says John Drengenberg, consumer affairs manager of UL. "Based on our test findings, the fryers used to produce those great-tasting birds are not worth the risks. And, as a result of these tests, UL has decided not to certify any turkey fryers with our trusted UL Mark."http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/consumer/productsafety/turkeys/
Like that would stop anyone, except maybe a fire code offical.

I fry turkeys every thanksgiving and sometimes on Christmas as well. I like to consider myself well-versed and experienced in the process, and even I can see why they scare the hell out of the UL......There are just too many stupid people out there.

I place mine on a concrete pad >10' from the house, and I always have a 20lb ABC dry chem extinguisher handy.

You can't beat a fried turkey for taste (have to use peanut oil!!!) and length of time for cooking!!!!

There's not enough chlorine in the gene pool to keep stupid people from doing stupid things.