• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

two homes in one

two homes in one

It's a 2 family dwelling so there is no relevance to whether or not rent is collected. Around here, that means separate utilities, including sewer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I work it could easily pass as a six family dwelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what makes it two dwellings??

So my mc mansion with three kitchens is a tri-plex???

Or if I build a house with kitchen attached to each bedroom, so I make my ten yr old cook their own meals, that does not constitute one house ??

It is not completely separated from the main area. There is an entrance from the shared foyer. I would treat this as a single family residence. This is no more a 2 family than a house with a finished walkout basement that has a kitchen or a wet bar and a beer fridge.

Joe

GBrackins said:
are you saying this is a building code or zoning determination JAR?
It could be an issue for both. Zoning would have to make its own determination and if they declared it a 2 family then the building department would follow suit.

It is being marketed as having 2 separate dwellings within one structure.

NEXT GENSM, Lennar’s distinctive line of multi-generational floorplans, offers innovative designs to accommodate dual living arrangements without sacrificing comfort or autonomy. Not only will your guests have their own bedroom and living area, they will also enjoy a kitchenette, separate entry and private bathroom.