• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Two way communication line use alternate?

Examiner

Posted the following in the "Other Forums - Elevators" on this site and no one has responded so I moved it to here.

Did not look far enough down the page but now I see there is an elevator forum.

Same building as mentioned in another forum on this site.

2-story and less than 60-feet of elevator travel.

We now understand requirement of two way communication. Elevator company is insisting that a dedicated phone line be provided and if the owner does not monitor the line for a fee the elevator company can.

Now you have the owner having to pay for a line that most likely will not ever be used and the monthly fee to monitor the line by the elevator company.

This link; http://www.vikingelectronics.com/pro...ct.php?pid=181 is a product that may work in lieu of monthly monitoring? If you do not see the product type in LSD-2 in the search box. It dials out to 911 and you can talk to the one in the elevator I am told.

Have any of you used or reviewed this product for elevator two way communication use?

link does not work on my computer

you may have to check with the ahj to see if they will allow it to go directly to 911 operator

Many of us only look at this site once a day, and this was posted since my last visit. The link didn't work for me either.

If the elevator gets stuck the person in it must be able to call for help. A dedicated phone line is necessary so it will always be available. It must connect to a place where somebody is available to answer the phone at all times, because a cleaning person or somebody working late might get trapped when there is nobody else in the building. There are several companies who provide monitoring services for alarms, etc. Some localities may allow it to call 911 directly, but many won't because of false alarms.

A few hundred bucks a year for monitoring is a lot cheaper than defending against a lawsuit by somebody claiming to suffer psychological damage from being trapped overnight in an elevator.

Try http://www.vikingelectronics.com

and in the search box type; LSD-2

Then click on the "LSD-2-Viking electronics Telecom & Security Products"

That should take you to information regarding the item.

The local AHJ is not causing the issue it is the Elevator Company/Installer.

I am somewhat sure that fire alarm communicators are allowed to use everyday lines, and set up to be able to seize the line and dial out.

But you are talking to elevator people and they speak a different langauge, at least here they do. so you have to make them happy.

if you can find the section of the elevator code and see what the specific langauge says.

but once again what number is it going to dial??????

Just one more question.

If only one elevator is in the buildnig, would the 911 call be acceptable for monitoring?