• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type 5 over Type 1 Problem?

The code in Canada now allows six storey wood construction, but does not require fire treatment. The next version of the code is allegedly introducing up to 19 storey CLT buildings.

What I have heard from fire protection engineers is that the fire risk is only present when it is under construction and the fire separations are not fully in place. Once the fire separations are in place and the sprinkler system operational, there is no more risk for fire safety in one of these buildings than in a steel and concrete building. Our fire code has enacted safety requirements for the construction process including; one set of exit stairs must be provided at all times during the construction process, no smoking outside of designated areas, water supply for firefighting must be operation before construction starts, etc.

There is no more risk in a utopian society where all remodeling and maintenance afterwards is code compliant and does not compromise fire rated assemblies.

The code in Canada now allows six storey wood construction, but does not require fire treatment. The next version of the code is allegedly introducing up to 19 storey CLT buildings.

What I have heard from fire protection engineers is that the fire risk is only present when it is under construction and the fire separations are not fully in place. Once the fire separations are in place and the sprinkler system operational, there is no more risk for fire safety in one of these buildings than in a steel and concrete building. Our fire code has enacted safety requirements for the construction process including; one set of exit stairs must be provided at all times during the construction process, no smoking outside of designated areas, water supply for firefighting must be operation before construction starts, etc.
1621509587228.png
Los Angeles
Fire Destroys Apartment Building Under Construction

View attachment 7887
Los Angeles
Fire Destroys Apartment Building Under Construction
From the article:

Officials say that they are inclined to believe the fire was intentionally set.

Typically, codes and requirements have shied away from trying to regulate safety in relation to deliberate acts of arson and associated deliberate property damage. Wood buildings are no more or less susceptible to deliberate acts of sabotage than any others.

There is no more risk in a utopian society where all remodeling and maintenance afterwards is code compliant and does not compromise fire rated assemblies.

I really think we should try and focus on regulations to ensure people are properly incentivized to follow the proper procedures for permitting and inspections. Not outlawing construction just because some people are negligent.

(Aside from fires)

These days, it seems like podium buildings are Type III roughly as often as Type V. The developer usually wants to maximize return on investment, so these buildings cover the entire property to the maximum height allowed. Around the Dallas area, it’s about 300-400 units and a parking garage on four or five acres. Maybe there’s a podium with a little retail, maybe not. The only green space, if any, is captured in courtyards and pool decks. All the unit entries are in the corridors.

I’d rather see the city impose more requirements for green space. Maybe negotiate them into all the planned development (PD) districts in exchange for more height. But in my neighborhood it’s the height that seems to get people the most worked up. One developer wanted to do five stories on a four-acre property near me and ran into considerable resistance from the neighbors. Another developer is now going ahead with four stories. Some of the neighbors seem to think it was a win. I don’t see it.

Regardless of hurricanes, the project type is making its way to Florida, too. Attached is a Google satellite view of a five-story apartment building and parking garage in Fort Lauderdale.

Attachments

• 7997074A-92A1-49E1-B3E9-2412EF1F67D9.jpeg
    7997074A-92A1-49E1-B3E9-2412EF1F67D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Typically, codes and requirements have shied away from trying to regulate safety in relation to deliberate acts of arson and associated deliberate property damage. Wood buildings are no more or less susceptible to deliberate acts of sabotage than any others.

If you knew what most of the L.A. architectural community thought about the visual impact of Geoffrey Palmer's "Fauxtalian" developments on the downtown LA architectural experience, it wouldn't surprise you that they were at higher risk for arson.
https://www.latimes.com/local/cityhall/la-me-palmer-empire-20141209-story.html