• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type B Unit showers

pmarx

Bronze Member
Can anyone please tell me if there was an errata published for ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003, section 1004.3.1.3.3? This is where 1004.11.3.2.3.2 refers me for an Option B, Type B unit. I was always taught that the text took precedence over the figures and 1004.3.1.3.3 states the compartment shall be 36”W minimum and 36”D minimum. Thanks.

From the 2009 A117.1, Section 1004.11.3.1.3.3 - Shower Compartment.

If a shower compartment is the only bathing facility, the shower compartment shall

have dimensions of 36 inches (915 mm) minimum in width and 36 inches (915 mm)

minimum in depth. A clearance of 48 inches (1220 mm) minimum in length, measured

perpendicular from the shower head wall, and 30 inches (760 mm) minimum in depth,

measured from the face of the shower compartment, shall be provided. Reinforcing

for a shower seat is not required in shower compartments larger than 36 inches

(915 mm) in width and 36 inches (915 mm) in depth.

I guess there was no errata!

How do you actually measure the minimum depth of the shower in the Type B unit? My state still uses the 2009 ICC A117.1, so the accessible shower needs to be 36" deep. If the shower pan itself is 36" is that deep enough, or does it need to be bigger to account for the thickness of the rear wall? (38" or more?)

Thanks! I have seen a lot of Type B units with 36" shower pans installed, but once the shower walls are installed, the shower is approximately 34" deep. That is not a problem for a second bathroom, where the other bathroom is Option B, but it seems like the 36" pan is what is often chosen for all showers, even Option A or Option B.

Thanks! I have seen a lot of Type B units with 36" shower pans installed, but once the shower walls are installed, the shower is approximately 34" deep. That is not a problem for a second bathroom, where the other bathroom is Option B, but it seems like the 36" pan is what is often chosen for all showers, even Option A or Option B.
Inexperience. There are many shower fixtures, including pans, specifically designed to meet FHA which have 36" min clear when complete.