• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

type "C" sheetrock

cda

Sawhorse 123
I think I asked the question before

but Type C sheetrock in place of Type X, do you see it much??

pros /// cons???

SHEETROCK FIRECODE C Core gypsum panels provide improved fire protection over standard FIRECODE panels due to additives that enhance the integrity of the core under fire exposure. Comply with Type X requirements. Systems using these gypsum panels have qualified for fire ratings of up to 4 hours in walls, 3 hours in ceilings, 4 hours for column protection. In order to attain fire-resistance ratings, the construction of the partition and/or floor and ceiling assemblies must conform to the system designs as tested at the indicated fire testing facilities (see System Folders). (2) Max. frame member spacing: 24” o.c.

The panels are available in 5/8” and 1/2” thicknesses; they are both UL-Classified (Type C) for application in fire-rated construction,

it's stiffer; you see it alot for ceilings with trusses spaced at 24" o.c. (the 1/2" one).

Type X is generally used in generic designs. Any board marked as Type X may be used in the assembly calling for Type X.

Type C is generally used in proprietary designs. Only the brands named in the assembly may be used. Type C is a proprietary Type X so Type C could be substituted for generic Type X.

A "rocker", who seemed to be knowledgeable, told me that the "C" represented cork added with the other additives to the gypsum to get the rating, it was more expensive, and took a longer (special order) to get. I never followed up to see if that was all true.

Drywall also comes in varying degrees of fire-resistance. Beyond standard drywall which is naturally fire-resistant (made of rock and water) is Type X drywall that is infused with fiberglass and Type C which contains proprietary fire-resistant materials.

reserached it awhile back and the question came up again

Hey Plans..

It is more expensive and most places don't stock a lot of it.. I don't know that it's more than 24 hours lead time in most areas. It performs about the same as 5/8 type x if fire rating is what you need... you see alot of builders trying to use regular 1/2" for ceilings.. if the trusses are 24" oc, there are always failures.