• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type I duct leaking

fireguy

Gold Member
When the exhaust system is cleaned, water fills one of the light fixtures in the exhaust hood. The cause is probably a poor weld during the original installation. The exhaust cleaning was done by another company for several years. When we started to clean the exhaust system, there were heavy grease deposits in the duct. Over time, we were able to remove the grease, getting the duct to bare metal. This removal of the grease exposed the voids in the welds. Water is now getting through the voids and puddling on top of the hood. The water then leaks into the light fixture. The real problem is if water gets on top of the hood, grease is also getting on top of the hood. The fire suppression system is not designed to control a fire outside of the hood. Grease on the hood can lead to another fire, but would be more severe than the previous fire.

Our process to investigate the cause of the leakage will be:

1. Examine the inside of the duct for voids in the welds.

2. Grind excess metal off the welds as needed.

3. If the above process does not reveal voids in the welds, we will put a light inside the duct. We will make holes in the sheet rock above the hood for camera access. This would also allow us to see how much grease is on the top of the hood. If the depth of the grease is more than 50 Microns, we will make access holes so the grease could be removed. If voids are found, a qualified welder will be hired to fill the voids. Welds will be ground smooth and checked for voids with a light, until the voids are filled.

Did I miss anything? Any thing else to look for? Best response gets $5.00 donated in their name to keep this board going. ( I'll just add the $5.00 to the job)

fireguy said:
When the exhaust system is cleaned, water fills one of the light fixtures in the exhaust hood. The cause is probably a poor weld during the original installation. The exhaust cleaning was done by another company for several years. When we started to clean the exhaust system, there were heavy grease deposits in the duct. Over time, we were able to remove the grease, getting the duct to bare metal. This removal of the grease exposed the voids in the welds. Water is now getting through the voids and puddling on top of the hood. The water then leaks into the light fixture. The real problem is if water gets on top of the hood, grease is also getting on top of the hood. The fire suppression system is not designed to control a fire outside of the hood. Grease on the hood can lead to another fire, but would be more severe than the previous fire. Our process to investigate the cause of the leakage will be:

1. Examine the inside of the duct for voids in the welds.

2. Grind excess metal off the welds as needed.

3. If the above process does not reveal voids in the welds, we will put a light inside the duct. We will make holes in the sheet rock above the hood for camera access. This would also allow us to see how much grease is on the top of the hood. If the depth of the grease is more than 50 Microns, we will make access holes so the grease could be removed. If voids are found, a qualified welder will be hired to fill the voids. Welds will be ground smooth and checked for voids with a light, until the voids are filled.

Did I miss anything? Any thing else to look for? Best response gets $5.00 donated in their name to keep this board going. ( I'll just add the $5.00 to the job)
Close off both ends of duct and pressurize with air and search with ultrasound to locate leak.

Smoke could also be used.

I have used ultrasound to locate leaks in duct work and refrigerant lines.

This is why we do smoke test on all new hoods. Contractor says they like light test. I tell them code says liquid tight, plug the bottom and fill it with water. LOL.

= | = | =

fireguy,

I agree with what the others have stated......An approved type of

pressure test is what is needed to find all of the leaking areas.

I would either video tape and / or take plenty of pictures of the

deficiencies to show all of the various people involved that

repairs & compliance is needed.........Pictures / videos speak

volumes.....Also cite the various applicable codes when compiling

your report.

FWIW, ...if using smoke for the test, use one that is colored

and that will show up clearly on your video / pics......Again,

...pics. speak volumes.

= | = | =