• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type III-B

radioatlas

Change of use from Mercantile to Business (bar & restaurant), under 1,000 square feet in a multi-tenant storefront-style building. Exterior concrete walls with big areas of storefront glass, unknown roof structure. I called the building V-B with existing 1 hour tenant separations, since the heights, areas, etc. seemed to work for V-B, and I didn't have a lot of information on the existing construction. The code official commented that it is type III-B, since that is what was listed on an old scanned letter document back in 2005. I'm not familiar in working with III-B, so apologies for the naive question; is there any reason to have 1 hour tenant separations for III-B, I can't find a reference in the IBC.