• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

UL 294 - Standard for Access Control

LGreene

I've seen quite a few requests from AHJs lately, asking to see the UL 294 listings for all of the electrified hardware installed on the project. The listing is not required by the model codes for every piece of electrified hardware, so I wrote a follow-up article to help clarify: http://idighardware.com/2017/03/ul-294-follow-up/

If you're an AHJ, have you been requesting this documentation where it is required?

- Lori

Since the NFPA does not approve, inspect, or certify any installations, procedures, equipment, materials, or do testing In determining the acceptability of installation, procedures, or use, the authority have jurisdiction can base acceptance on compliance with the NEC or other appropriate standards by referring to the listing

NEC 110.2 & 110.3 also requires listed or labeled equipment.

Since the NFPA does not approve, inspect, or certify any installations, procedures, equipment, materials, or do testing In determining the acceptability of installation, procedures, or use, the authority have jurisdiction can base acceptance on compliance with the NEC or other appropriate standards by referring to the listing

NEC 110.2 & 110.3 also requires listed or labeled equipment.

There are a lot of listings that apply to door hardware. For example, panic hardware is listed to UL 305, and if it is used on a fire door it is also listed to UL 10C. When a panic device is electrified for use as part of an access control system, it is not required by code to be listed to UL 294 because it's not typically used in the types of systems that are required to have the UL 294 listing. It still has the other UL listings that are required by code. For years, that has been sufficient for those enforcing the NEC. Do you think that is changing? Or that the model code requirements are being misunderstood?

Where would it not be required to have the listing?

According to the 2015 IBC, here's where the listing IS required:
  • 1010.1.9.6 – Controlled Egress Doors in Groups I-1 and I-2 – applies to the electrified locking of egress doors in certain types of units in a health care facility.
  • 1010.1.9.7 – Delayed Egress – applies to delayed egress locks which release within 15 seconds after actuation of the release timer (30 seconds when approved).
  • 1010.1.9.8 – Sensor Release of Electrically Locked Egress Doors – applies to electrified locks – typically electromagnetic locks, which are released by a sensor to allow egress.
  • 1010.1.9.9 – Electromagnetically Locked Egress Doors – applies to doors with electromagnetic locks released by a switch in the door-mounted hardware.
The majority of electrified hardware/access control systems do not fall into one of these categories. For example, the most common use of electrified hardware is when a card reader is used to unlock a door for access, but the hardware allows egress independent of the access control system (turn a lever or push the touchpad of a panic device). This application is not a controlled egress system which prevents egress indefinitely (1010.1.9), or a delayed egress lock which delays egress for 15 seconds (1010.1.9.7), or a lock that is released by a sensor (1010.1.9.8), or an electromagnetic lock that is released by door-mounted hardware (1010.1.9.9).

If the code requires the listing in certain areas, anywhere it is used that the code is silent on, the listing is not required.

If the code requires the listing in certain areas, anywhere it is used that the code is silent on, the listing is not required.

That's what I think also, but some AHJs are applying it to every piece of hardware with a wire. I just had a request for UL 294 certification for a door position switch, which only monitors the position of the door and has no effect on access or egress.

That's what I think also, but some AHJs are applying it to every piece of hardware with a wire. I just had a request for UL 294 certification for a door position switch, which only monitors the position of the door and has no effect on access or egress.
You usually see this in the AHJ community when they don't really understand the requirements. Uniformed officials will go completely overboard requiring things that don't make sense. Best way around is to inform officials, some don't even know what the standard is for.

You usually see this in the AHJ community when they don't really understand the requirements. Uniformed officials will go completely overboard requiring things that don't make sense. Best way around is to inform officials, some don't even know what the standard is for.

That's what I'm trying to do...Inform is my middle name! :D