• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

UL Assembly Product Substitutions

Kanzas

Do building inspectors ever actually check to see - or care - that UL fire rated assemblies that are referenced on drawings are constructed with the proprietary products that the assembly was tested with? E.g., is that installed brand of gyp board or metal stud actually listed in the UL assembly? In over 25 years as an architect with a firm that does primarily commercial and public projects, I have never experienced this or heard of it happening. Just curious, and interested in the comments of building inspectors. Thanks.

When I was a plans examiner, I would check to make sure the UL detail was correct, but when I was in the field before that, nope.

Try to get it on the plans....try to verify in field....doesn't always work out the way you want it.....did have a spirited debate wit a DP and one of my coworkers about a firewall meeting the "intent" of the UL design......... :(

The problem with the assemblies is that they never call for inspection during construction, usually after they are done and what good is that? We have to constantly remind them to call during construction of the UL assembly.

Exactly Jeff.....if it is a simple 1hr rated wall, no biggie, but firewalls and barriers that are complex and their terminations and penetrations...bet your bottom dollar that I want to see them in progress and their paperwork...

When I was an inspector, I always made sure the UL assemblies were built per the UL listing. As a plans examiner, I made sure the information was on the plans for the field inspector. Now that I work for an architectural firm, I've been working with architects to put as much information on the plans as possible, especially for passive systems.

I do know there are jurisdictions that do not look for this though. Sometimes it's because they don't understand, sometimes it's just because they don't care.

jar546 said:
The problem with the assemblies is that they never call for inspection during construction, usually after they are done and what good is that? We have to constantly remind them to call during construction of the UL assembly.
Why not make it part of the special inspections schedule using 1704.13.3?

IBC 110.3.6 Fire- and smoke-resistant penetrations. protection of joints and penetrations in fire-resistance-rated assemblies, smoke barriers and smoke partitions shall not be concealed from view until inspected and approved.

IRC RI04.9 Approved materials and equipment. Materials, equipment and devices approved by the building official shall be constructed and installed in accordance with such approval.

RI09.1.5.1 Fire-resistance-rated construction inspection. Where fire-resistance-rated construction is required between dwelling units or due to location on property, the building official shall require an inspection of such construction after all lathing and/or wallboard is in place, but before any plaster is applied, or before wall-board joints and fasteners are taped and finished.