• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

UL Listing of SIgns

While a UL listings may be considered as evidence of compliance the building official should also be open to other means of establishing code compliance.

For example Chapter 7 of the IBC references UL263 and ASTM E119. Thus if a manufacturer could show compliance with ASTM E119 by means of a test report prepared by an approved testing laboratory there would be no need for a UL listing.

What exactly does the electrical code say about UL listing.

NEC 600.3 requires that signs be listed and installed in conformance with that listing, unless otherwise approved by special permission, i.e. by the AHJ. What we see most of the time is a cabinet that has listed lighting fixtures. 600.3(B) exempts outline lighting with a listed lighting system but does not make a reference to cabinet signs. Not sure what the justification is for requiring listing with a simple box sign, but I am looking for some type of bar to set as to when it should be required.

rhall said:
NEC 600.3 requires that signs be listed and installed in conformance with that listing, unless otherwise approved by special permission, i.e. by the AHJ. What we see most of the time is a cabinet that has listed lighting fixtures. 600.3(B) exempts outline lighting with a listed lighting system but does not make a reference to cabinet signs. Not sure what the justification is for requiring listing with a simple box sign, but I am looking for some type of bar to set as to when it should be required.
If it is an electric sign I would require it to be list in accordance with 600.3.

Chris