• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

UL vs CE?

MtnArch

Sawhorse
I'm not sure where best to post this, but figured Electrical would be best. One of our manufacturing clients is buying a large piece of machinery that is NOT UL listed, but does have the CE mark. From what I understand CE is mainly for equipment in the EU and UL is in the US. How should I approach reviewing this with our local CBO, without him laughing himself to death? Thanks for any guidance on it!

CE is an indication that a product can cross EU borders. It has no meaning in the USA. The solution is a field evaluation by the proper NRTL.

If a field evaluation is sought they should consult with the AHJ to be assured that the particular NRTL is recognized for field evaluations by the AHJ. They will find that some are and some aren't.

Then again, I suppose that there are jurisdictions that are lax in listing/labeling enforcement.

Last edited: