• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

UL710 - Kitchen Hoods

Darren Emery

SAWHORSE
Does anyone happen to have a copy of 710? I'm looking for information regarding the proper location for cooking equipment under a listed hood - 507.12 does not apply if the hood is 710 certified. We're having a bit of a disagreement with the manufacturer as to where to measure the required edge distances for the equipment under the hood.

To add a bit of detail - section 507.12 pretty clearly states that you measure from the cooking surfaces to the "inside lower edge" of the hood. I take that to be A in the attached drawing. Others interpret this as the B location. I don't know if UL710 provides any guidance on this issue. Thoughts?

View attachment 438

View attachment 438

/monthly_2011_05/Picture1.jpg.144698e921459781e1f42b0f81322352.jpg

Darren we can't teach common sense but, 507.12 says it all. The measurement is from the inside edge. The others that are interpreting B as the measuring point are trying not to have to replace the hood or equipment.

Be sure to read the exception, after all this is about air flow to the hood. A three sided open hood is going to have less air velocity than the same hood that is enclosed on two sides. By the same token, the air velocity is less on a hood that is enclosed on two sides verus an enclosed three sided hood.

The cfm of all three hoods can be the same........but how fast the sir is drawn is dependent upon how much oipen space you have to feed the fan.....

cda said:
If listed hood you can also call the manufacture
I did - and therein lies the challenge. The manufacturer claims the 6" buffer should be measured from the outside curtain (B) rather than the inside lip. Claims that this is part of the listing of their hood, but has not/can not provide additional documentation to verify this.

cda said:
Well I also thought the six inch rule did not apply to listed hoods????
True - that section of the code does not apply - however - I'm pretty certain that UL710 contains some language regarding placement of equipment under the hood. That's why I'm looking for someone with a copy :)

does this help any???

nfpa 96 2011

6.2.1.3 For cooking equipment without exposed flame and where flue gases bypass grease removal devices, the minimum vertical distance shall be permitted to be reduced to not less than 152 mm (6 in.).

6.2.1.4 Where a grease removal device is listed for separation distances less than those required in 6.2.1.1 and 6.2.1.2, the listing requirements shall be permitted.

6.2.1.5 Grease removal devices supplied as part of listed hood assemblies shall be installed in accordance with the terms of the listing and the manufacturer’s instructions.

looking at the commentary

it looks like they measure to the outside edge

but it also look like it depends of the shape of the hood, and in some instances looks like it might be the inside edge