• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ultra-Dog Locking Device

LGreene

I know some of you saw my recent blog post about panic hardware and the creative ways people have of locking it: http://idighardware.com/2012/03/ww-panic-attack/

Someone sent me a link to this video about the Ultra-Dog locking device: http://youtu.be/0Rpbrq_f8c4

Would you allow this product to be used "after hours"? If you would, would you limit it to certain types of buildings? How would you ensure that the facility removes it while the building is occupied?

The Ultra-Dog locking device seem to be better that what they are doing around here, which is 2x4's inthe brackets, chains or padlocks

As mark said, better than the alternative...but, those aren't approved around my 'here' either.

Maybe you could look at it's application for a "when a building is not occupied" with a letter of operations kind of situation for Storage and Factory, or non-MOE doors.

Single motion to exit...Check.

No special knowledge or tools... Check.

In the video they are shown stored next to the door. So a patron can, if he chooses...

At least they only seem to work on drop-bar devices.

"releasing the lock bar, lifting the device, and moving it out of the way is a single motion?" And then pushing on the exit device.

Nope, it isn't. Sounds to me like requires special knowledge as well. Sorry, I should have used M$ font 'Sarcastic' before. ;-)

Doorman said:
"releasing the lock bar, lifting the device, and moving it out of the way is a single motion?" And then pushing on the exit device.Nope, it isn't. Sounds to me like requires special knowledge as well. Sorry, I should have used M$ font 'Sarcastic' before. ;-)
Sorry Doorman...didn't read your last "at least they only seem to work on drop-bar devices" sentence correctly. 5 o'clock can't come soon enough...should have had Dr gbhammer write me a prescription for two days off.

Would allow it when building is not occupied like similar devices

Would do spot checks and complaints for compliance

Thanks everybody. I'm not an advocate for these devices but I agree they're better than some of the alternatives. The problem I see most often is that they're left in place when the building is occupied...this is even worse when it's the chain/padlock or some other method that is used when the building is occupied.