• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Understanding NEC 404.14(F) Dimmer & Electronic Control Switches

jar546

Forum Coordinator
For educational purposes under fair use, this is what the code reads:

204.14(F) Dimmer and Electronic Control Switches.
General-use dimmer switches and electronic control switches, such as timing switches and occupancy sensors, shall be used only to control permanently connected loads, such as incandescent luminaires, unless listed for the control of other loads and installed accordingly. They shall be marked by their manufacturer with their current and voltage ratings and used for loads that do not exceed their ampere rating at the voltage applied.

This is what it means:

This part of the National Electrical Code (NEC) talks about the proper use of dimmer switches and electronic control switches, which include things like timing switches and occupancy sensors. Here's the main point: these devices are specifically designed to control certain types of electrical loads (the amount of electricity a device uses).
  1. Usage with Permanently Connected Loads: Dimmer switches and electronic control switches are usually meant to control fixtures that are permanently wired into the building, like ceiling lights. You can't just use them for any electrical device. They're commonly used with incandescent lights, and those are the traditional light bulbs that get really hot.
  2. Listed for Specific Loads: If you want to use these switches for something other than incandescent lights, like LED lights or other types of fixtures, they need to be specifically listed for that use. The manufacturer will mark these switches with their current and voltage ratings. It's important to make sure the switch can handle the electrical load you're putting on it, measured in amperes (amps) and voltage.
  3. Not for Receptacles or Plug-in Lamps: You can't use general-use dimmers to control wall outlets (receptacles) or for lamps that you plug into these outlets. Why? Because someone might accidentally plug in something that's not compatible with a dimmer, like a fan or a fluorescent lamp. This could be dangerous or cause damage.
  4. Exceptions for Commercial and Theater Use: The rule doesn't apply to commercial or theater dimmers. These are special types of dimmers used in places like stores, theaters, or studios. They're designed to handle different kinds of lighting, like fluorescent lights or portable stage lights.
In summary, NEC 404.14(F) is all about using the right tool for the job. Dimmer switches and electronic control switches are great for certain types of lighting, but you need to make sure they're compatible with what you're controlling. This keeps everything safe and working as it should.

These are special types of dimmers used in places like stores, theaters, or studios. They're designed to handle different kinds of lighting, like fluorescent lights or portable stage lights.
Just two additions. Generally, dimmer controlled receptacles for entertainment lighting should - just good practice - be a unique receptacle. The stage pin plug is my preference but there are other good choices.

The LED revolution has greatly reduced the need for dimmer controlled circuits, building the "dimmer" into the fixture, which then requires just power and data. While I was still designing that data was transitioning from wired to wireless, with a receiver in each fixture. Not 100%, and no doubt some legacy gear will be in use for many years, but it's transitioning.

I could never get my LED bulbs to dim much even with the expensive dimmers made for them. Now I use the smart bulbs. Just screw them in and use an app in your phone. They work great.

I could never get my LED bulbs to dim much even with the expensive dimmers made for them. Now I use the smart bulbs. Just screw them in and use an app in your phone. They work great.
I looked at the bulbs you are talking about but both are also very expensive. Not a few can buy LED dimmers that are reasonably priced and when a bulb without you just have to replace a reasonably priced bulb, much cheaper in the long run.

We love the smart bulbs. The dimmer works a lot better than a wall switch dimmer and the app has a very large choices of colors, shades, and timers. The 4 bulbs in my ceiling fan can be changed individually, together, or with many built in patterns. I change the bulb color out in my gazebo from inside the house.