• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Understanding the footnote for R13+5 wall insulation

BillS

I'm designing a home in Climate Zone 5, IRC2009. The options for wood-framed walls are R-20 or R-13 cavity+R-5 insulated sheathing. I don't fully understand what footnote h is saying...

I take it to read that, if the structural sheathing (e.g. plywood) covers <25% of the walls, then insulating sheathing is not required... so it'd be just R-13; if the structural sheathing covers >25% of the walls, then the insulated sheathing only needs to be R-2.

If this is the case, why is it called 13+5 and not 13+2? If it's not, what am I reading incorrectly?

Thanks

Bill

At 25% or less you do not need the insulated sheathing over the structural sheathing panels.
At more than 25% a minimum of R-2 is required over the structural panels with R-5 over the rest.
The reduction over the structural sheathing allows a uniform surface for wall covering/siding attachment.
Not sure why it is not required at less than 25% structural but, the footnote (and the requirement) is changed in the 2015 and makes more sense. Also the cavity only goes away in climate zone 5 in the 2015.

Can an Admin move this to Residential Energy?