• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Uniform Plumbing Code - Are metering/self-closing faucets required on ALL lavatories?

namod65

Hello,

I'm working on a project that is under the 2021 Uniform Plumbing Code, and I'm trying to determine if I need a metering/self-closing faucet on a restroom lavatory.

UPC 407.2.PNG
407.2 States that I must comply with both 407.2.1 and 407.2.2. So I need a faucet with a 0.5 GPM flow rate. And a metered faucet can't do any more than 0.25 gallons per cycle.

But then there is this section next...

UPC 407.4.PNG

407.4 States that all lavatories in public transient spaces (airports, restaurants, etc...) need to have a self-closing/metering faucet. But my restroom is not a "transient" restroom, its just a single office restroom.

So do I need the metering/self-closing faucet per 407.2? Or does 407.4 imply that only "transient" restrooms need metering/self-closing faucets, and thus my office restroom does not need one?

Thanks!

Simple answer NO you are not required to comply with 407.4.

Private or Private Use. Applies to plumbing fixtures in residences and apartments, to private bathrooms in hotels and hospitals, and to restrooms in commercial establishments where the fixtures are intended for the use of a family or an individual.

What is a single office restroom? a single occupancy restroom within an office occupancy? or a single occupancy restroom devoted only to a single user office?

Thanks for some of the feedback.

Yes it is a single restroom within an office occupancy. So there is potential for multiple users to use the restroom (not at one time, it's just a single toilet and LAV), as it is an office space.