• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unlicensed Electricians in California

seanmark

Greetings,

I am a newer inspector for a small city in northern California and extremely glad to have found this forum. Thank you for passing your knowledge on, I have learned a lot from the content you all have contributed!

I was surprised to learn from the California Contractors State License Board that anyone can do electrical work on commercial buildings if they work under somebody who holds a General Contractor's license. Due to some of the poor workmanship (and hazards) that I have witnessed in the field, I have recently been testing the waters of having Licensing be a requirement for electricians who do any commercial work, via a Municipal Code.

Any guidance or advice? Are there any other Municipalities that have similar requirements?

Thanks!

Take a look at this California Gov. website. There are rules already in place. The rules are never enforced. Crescent City is not a place that will take kindly to any experiments affecting the status quo. While I applaud your initiative, you're a new guy that should probably back off.

And before I go, let me say welcome to the forum... this place is just what a newer inspector needs.

Last edited:
Does the local jurisdiction have the legal authority to regulate electrical contractors?

Given that the State already has licensed contractors I believe the answer is NO.

Additionally check out this site:

There's some good info to be found there. I agree with @ICE, although I probably would have said it differently... Technically a general contractor can do electrical work when the general scope of work includes multiple trades. It gets a bit dicey when you start saying "work under somebody" because that implies being an employee. If legitimately an employee (insurance, workers comp, etc.) then probably okay. A "subcontractor" would not be covered.

Local amendments can be done, if done correctly. Check out CBC 1.1.8. They have to be properly filed and approved to be legit.

Although I hate to admit it because he's such a PITA, I agree with @Mark K here too. I don't think it's your responsibility to regulate this in the field.

Ask your jurisdiction's, lawyer if your local licensing restrains competition. When the answer is yes then ask if the "state action doctrine" immunity from antitrust liability applies Note that the immunity only applies to actions by the Legislature.

Ask your jurisdiction's, lawyer if your local licensing restrains competition. When the answer is yes then ask if the "state action doctrine" immunity from antitrust liability applies Note that the immunity only applies to actions by the Legislature.
That's good information, thanks!