• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unlimited Area Buildings - "public ways or yards" ?

Markmax33

Bronze Member
I seem to remember this questions may have been answered before but I couldn't find it.

507.2 Nonsprinklered, one story.

The area of a Group F-2 or S-2 building no more than one story in height shall not be limited when the

**building is surrounded and adjoined by public ways or yards**not less than 60 feet (18 288 mm) in width.

My question lies in the adjoined by "public ways or yards". As far as I can tell there are 5 lot line conditions allowed by the code:

1. Public Way, Street or Alley

2. Lot Line

3. Open Space

4. Assumed Lot Line

5. Fire Wall (0' to lot line, not compliant)

Yard definition - An open space, other than a court, unobstructed from the ground to the sky...

It would appear that the first 4 of these options would comply with the unlimited area definition. Are there any other conditions where the 60' may not be in compliance with the unlimited area option? I assume a lot line is fine as long as it is 60' as it would be open space?

You are basically correct, as long as the open space remains open and allows fire department access...... This does not mean dedicated fire lanes and not being able to use this "open space" for cooling towers..... However, in my humble opinion, it shall allow an fire department aerial device the opportunity to be positioned so that the master stream device(s) can reach all areas of the building without any obstructions......

(This is my on opinion based on 30 plus years of oops, i did something wrong - now you fix it.......{Fire Service - 30 plus years})

Are there any other conditions where the 60' may not be in compliance with the unlimited area option?
I have DP's try to use a railroad as a public ROW. It is not.

A RR spur line that serves a specific building is similar to a loading dock area for trucks but a building abutting a railroad track is a different animal.