• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

unorthodox pipe support

+ + +

"I supported my copper water pipe with single strands of thhn! legal?"
Was it approved for use by the AHJ?....What spacing did you use for the support?What is the size of the stranded thhn?.....The copper-on-copper isn't an issue.

+ + +

approved at the time (1978) with standard spacing. #12 wire that i stripped from leftover romex. would you approve it today?

pwood said:
I supported my copper water pipe with single strands of thhn! legal?
IPC 308.3 Materials

Hangers anchors and supports shall support the piping and contents of the piping. Hangers and strapping material shall be of approved materials that will not promote galvanic action.

Nothing states that you can not unless you take into consideration as to how the word "approved" is used.

By definition "approved" by the AHJ or int he context of the sentence "approved materials that will not promote galvanic action."

pwood said:
approved at the time (1978) with standard spacing. #12 wire that i stripped from leftover romex. would you approve it today?
I'll be convinced when it hits 40 years of service.

# # #

"no, i wouldnt. plumbing and electricity don't mix well (har har) no, its not an apporoved plumbing strap"
codeworks,

Respectfully asking, ...why do you believe it would not be an approved plumbing

strap?

# # #

", metal hangers or building structural components,"

I think they qualify, and I'm good with a 34 year track record........

Much is made about nothing. Unless we are talking about large pipe it does not take a lot of strength to support the pipe.

For corrosion coper on coper is no problem.

The use of the word "approved" needs to be interpreted in context of the code. This does not mean that the building official could require any arbitrary thing he wished. Since the building official does not have the authority to invent new requirements anything he requires should be based on adopted code requirements. This means that there should be an objective basis to evaluate whether something is approved or not. Baring prescriptive code requirements differences of opinion could be resolved by load testing or calculations based on requirements in the IBC.