• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unveiling the Mysteries of Global Building Codes

Raymond Redington

Ah, Venice. As I sipped my espresso along the Grand Canal, I couldn't help but muse about the city's hidden quirks. You see, this city of waterways has something more than just romance and gondolas – it harbors a peculiar piece of history in its building codes.

Consider the Gondola Conduct Code, dating back to the Renaissance. Not merely content with the engineering of these sleek watercraft, Venetian law meticulously dictated everything from the gondola's design to the gondolier's attire. Imagine that – a law ensuring your boatman is as dapper as the vessel he steers!

Then, in the Sahara, there's a Berber community whose building customs are as mystical as the desert itself. Homes built from red desert clay are oriented towards the mythical city of Zerzura. They believe it brings fortune and wards off spirits – a compass of superstition guiding their architecture.

And let's not forget the whispered secrets of Scottish stonemasons. Their building code, an oral tradition shrouded in mystery, speaks of each stone laid with a blessing. It's a testament to their belief in imbuing their structures with the resilience to withstand time itself.

So you see, every building code tells a story, a narrative steeped in history and culture. They are more than mere regulations; they are the guardians of our past, woven into the very fabric of our buildings.