• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unwanted Neutral

mshields

Silver Member
If a 3 phase, 4 wire feeder is brought to a load that only requires 3 phase, 3 wire, is there anything in the code prohibitting one from taping the extra conductor in the panel (i.e. at the source) and then at the disconnect (i.e. at the load) and just leaving it hanging so to speak?

mshields,

Do you mean taping as in "means of identifying the ungrounded conductor",

or disconnecting the unused conductor and taping the ends to prevent contact?

mshields said:
I mean the latter. You'd have an unused conductor taped on both ends to make sure it didn't get energized.
Not an issue or you can install it and not use it-- either way.

mshields said:
If a 3 phase, 4 wire feeder is brought to a load that only requires 3 phase, 3 wire, is there anything in the code prohibitting one from taping the extra conductor in the panel (i.e. at the source) and then at the disconnect (i.e. at the load) and just leaving it hanging so to speak?
Greetings

If you don't need it taping off ok. It doesn't even need to be there on a feeder. However, the neutral shall always be brought to the service disconnect whether it's needed or not.

BS

BSSTG said:
GreetingsIf you don't need it taping off ok. It doesn't even need to be there on a feeder. However, the neutral shall always be brought to the service disconnect whether it's needed or not.

BS
Not always but close to always-- 250.24©