• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Update to exterior of Condo at NC Coast damaged by Tornado

darcysams

You folks were so helpful (and spot on) with my other issue - I was hoping you might be willing to give me a little more advice.I first tried reviewing the NC Building Code and the IBC, but was unsuccessful in finding what I was looking for. I'm just too unfamiliar with the terminology to really make sense of a lot of it. But thanks to you - I'm learning!Just a brief background, condo was hit by tornado in 11/2013, finally rebuilding. Insurance proceeds are being spent (in my opinion) in excess of what it takes to "repair/restore" as is required by our Bylaws and applicable NC Law. Because the insurance funds are limited, this is leaving us with expensive future assessments due. What I'm trying to figure out, is which of the improvements they're making are required by code and which are purely for aesthetics. Different owners are getting different answers when they approach the Board and not surprisingly they won't respond to anything in writing.I've tried posting a picture of the before and after, but not sure if it will work. It's beautiful - but I'm not sure it's all really necessary and would like to go to the next meeting prepared with an understanding of what is/is not required.

View attachment 2082

View attachment 2083

I'll do my best to explain the changes.1. Roof -- previously we had a flat roof, we now will have a pitched roof2. Exterior -- was previously painted wood/brick, we now will have Shake/Shingle Vinyl Siding (which according to the manufacturers website is rated as costing $$$$ versus regular horizontal vinyl siding which is $-$$ - so I know that's more expensive even if vinyl siding is some how preferable.3. Decking -- was previously treated lumber, we now will have treated lumber, we will now have white vinyl accents.Any suggestions of what section of the code to look at or where else I might find this info would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks!DarcyView attachment 2082

View attachment 2083

/monthly_2014_07/314848_244830528885479_4610632_n.jpg.a2246a630893e55cab5db2a055394d71.jpg

/monthly_2014_07/new.jpg.451d49c405b50b9f9a62cf864eb961ad.jpg

do you have a now picture of the exterior of the building??

My guesses

1. They want to update the look of the place- not code required unless the city says so.

2. possibly some of the exterior work is driven by current tornado construction requirements.

3. I hate hoa's. You need to see what the rules say about approving work on the building. Is it just have to be approved by the board or does it take a majority of owners to approve it and does the approval kick in when it is over a certain amount.

4. I will speak from the burned building side, normally you can build it back exactly the same way it was, but may have to include current life safety requirements such as certain size windows, smoke alarms as needed,etc.

sounds like the owners that are not happy need to have a pre meeting and write out concern points and questions to ask, and speak as one.

your pictures are fine

Thanks cda!

1. Thanks - that's what I thought

2. Do you know where I could find anything about tornado construction requirements

3. I'm starting to hate them too. Bylaws say building must be rebuilt to prior specifications unless approved by HOA in one area, but say insurance proceeds must be used first to repair/restore and then distributed to unit owners. NC Condominium Act and Unit Ownership Act state that they only can use insurance proceeds to repair/restore then distributed to unit owners. The HOA attorney said repair/restore and if money is left over to unit owners for improvements they made to their individual units as outlined in our insurance policy. My guess is that the Board is making sure they spend all of the money.

4. Thanks

We have, unfortunately, our next meeting isn't until August 30th. We've tried to call a special meeting, but we haven't been successful. We hired an attorney to assist us, sigh, it's getting complicated =)

you can also hire a building code consultant to advise you all. and hopefully from NC, so the consultant knows the NC codes