• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

UPDATE to the 2-012 IBC 507 and 508 Mixed uses

I don't think so.... says the mean old fire fighter...

Q: to teh designer - Provide documentation that the A-2 of 26,000 SF is equal to or less than the tabular values of T503.3.

507.3.1 - item #2. (503.1 references the table and does not include area increases.)

508.2 - Specifically states in area limitations - tabular values of 503.

Nowhere in 507 or 508 did I find a single reference to section 506 which is building area modifications - Therefore, you are stuck with tabular values as listed in 503.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well BB the "guy with a pencil who draws" called and said they want to change the construction to IA.

I have been telling them that, as my then 4 year old grandson said once, "That not work!"

Gee, did some one get a clue or what?

I think it can meet the requirements of Section 507.3.1 of the 2012 IBC depending on the construction type. The IBC Commentary says you can apply the area increase provisions to the A use within the unlimited area building, so depending on the construction type, you may be able to get 26,000 square feet for an A-2.

Codegeek said:
I think it can meet the requirements of Section 507.3.1 of the 2012 IBC depending on the construction type. The IBC Commentary says you can apply the area increase provisions to the A use within the unlimited area building, so depending on the construction type, you may be able to get 26,000 square feet for an A-2.
That would be the only way............