• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Use group classification?

jpranch

Platinum Member
2009 IBC with Appendix-C are currently adopted. Question: An indoor fully enclosed rodeo practice arena for our college team with no spectator seating. Group-U Agricultural Building in accordance with Appendix-C?

practice arena for our college team
Football, Basket Ball, Tennis, Soccer, Roping or Rodeo they are all the same

College is a "B" use but I would lean towards an A-3 or A-4

They just don't build a large open floor building and not have other uses in it. Ask more question

What size arena for practice? IF U, make sure the CO for the building states "Assembly of more than 49 persons may require a change of occupancy"

One area I was in permitted and CO'ed a 24,000 "practice" arena - three weeks afterwards, tickets were sold for a Horse Show - Rent a bleacher company brought bleachers, vendors bought in roach coaches, and a PBR Rodeo event was in full swing........

Thank goodness it was in another jurisidction -

"A-3" without portable bleachers, ..."A-4" with portable

bleachers.........The scenario that Builder Bob mentioned

happens quite frequently.......Also, how will you calculate

the minimum number of [ required ] plumbing fixtures,

...there's no "U" Occupancy Group classification in the

Plumbing Code - Minimum Number of Required Plumbing

Fixtures Table, or is everyone going to "go" like the

horsies and cows do?

jpranch said:
2009 IBC with Appendix-C are currently adopted. Question: An indoor fully enclosed rodeo practice arena for our college team with no spectator seating. Group-U Agricultural Building in accordance with Appendix-C?
I agree. Appendix C appears that it was written for the use.

I presume that the proposed practice arena is sited adjacent to existing stables, barns, and fields that support the curriculum.

Occupant load at 1/300 gross?

imhotep said:
I agree. Appendix C appears that it was written for the use. I presume that the proposed practice arena is sited adjacent to existing stables, barns, and fields that support the curriculum.

Occupant load at 1/300 gross?
I disaggree, I think app-c would be using the "Code Stretcher" a little bit. A-3

Thanks for the feedback. I have never used Appendix-C before. I have not seen the formal proposal from the architect yet or even a site plan. I wanted to deal with any issues at the earliest possible time.

C101.1 Scope.

The provisions of this appendix shall apply exclusively to agricultural buildings.

AGRICULTURAL, BUILDING. A structure designed and constructed to house farm implements, hay, grain, poultry, livestock or other horticultural products. This structure shall not be a place of human habitation or a place of employment where agricultural products are processed, treated or packaged, nor shall it be a place used by the public.

The minute you put people in that building for something other than tending to the care of the animals that may be there it is not a U occupancy nor just an agricultural building

According to the Appendix, I don't think it applies to your situation so it would have to be an A use group. Since there is no spectator seating, then I'd say it's an A-3.

Just received more information. The arena is 45,000 square feet. It will have an additional 3,000 square feet for a classroom, shop, restrooms, and a breakroom.

Does. It happen to be located on the main campus, other property owned by the college, or some other arrangement??

It will be owned by the college. Location to be determined. It is my understanding that because they have an exclusive contract with the Camplex ( http://www.cam-plex.com/ ) for all their events the college cannot hold any public events in the proposed practice arena. The proposed arena will not have any spectator seating.

I concur that Group U is inappropriate, as the uses presented in 312 are generally not normally occupied spaces.

Based on Exception 1 of 303.1, I think it would probably land as a Group B, anticipating a reduction in occupant load in accordance with the exception to Section 1004.1.1.

Nope......

Would look at the submitted use and assign per the use per 1004

And with your question of the ol is under fifty than i would call it a B

cda said:
Nope......Would look at the submitted use and assign per the use per 1004

And with your question of the ol is under fifty than i would call it a B
You called the practice arena an A-3 and, but you would assign on occupant load for something other than Assembly use?

Well lets see

45,000 square feet. Even if you use the most liberal occupant load factor listed in Table 1004.1.1 for the entire area as though it is a warehouse 1:500, the occupant load would still be 90.

'Use Group A' = The use of a building or structure for gathering of persons for civic, social, religeous, recreation, etc. etc. etc.

90 > 50 = 'Use Group Classification' of "A".

jpranch said:
It will be owned by the college. Location to be determined. It is my understanding that because they have an exclusive contract with the Camplex ( http://www.cam-plex.com/ ) for all their events the college cannot hold any public events in the proposed practice arena. The proposed arena will not have any spectator seating.
Contracts expire and change. Design the exiting for 15 per sq ft. You can work with them on the other numbers, plumbing fixtures, ventilation, to think of a few.

Sorry jumped

If the final ol is over fifty I would call it an A-3

If final ol is under fifty I would call it a B

Section 1004 allows the occupant load to be set in a few different ways

You do not have to use the table

Exception: Where approved by the building official, the actual number of occupants for whom each occupied space, floor or building is designed, although less than those determined by calculation, shall be permitted to be used in the determination of the design occupant load.